Labor Day Meal 'sixshot' style

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Well, it's Labor Day, and I was in the need of some comfort food, given the past weeks events(passing of my Mom) ! I know we've all been drooling over 'sixshots' Dutch oven cooking posts :lol: , so I figured it just may be what the Dr. ordered. Pork chops, potatoes, veggies, and cobbler, all Dutch oven style. I cooked the potatoes in a enamel coated 5.5 qt Dutch oven that my Mom got me for Christmas, 2 years ago. This would be its maiden voyage. Everything turned out better than expected.

meal007.jpg

'sixshot' potatoes ! Would have had more bacon, but Ruger, my dog, absconded with half of it.
meal009.jpg

Pan seared pork chops, slow roasted in dutch oven. Notice the steam ?
meal011.jpg

Plate of grub fit for a king ! :D :D :D
meal013.jpg

Blueberry/cherry cobbler made with pie filling !
meal015.jpg

Close up of cobbler !

A Great meal to be remembered, courtesy of 'sixshot' and the rest of my Ruger friends. Very uplifting and filling, all in the bite !

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I'm getting into Dutch oven cooking - have mostly made main courses and bread so far. I'm interested in making cobbler, or a similar dessert, but the cleanup looks pretty tough. Is it as bad as it looks?

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Ferdinand, I just scrape everything out, add water only, NO SOAP, and let boil 10-15 min. and let cool. Everything just scrapes off real easy. The more 'seasoned', the easier the clean-up. To season, wipe with veg. or olive oil, and bake at 275 degrees for 30-40 min. Just think muzzleloader, same concept.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the seasoning tips. I've been working with a higher temp and having problems, so I'll follow your suggestions. I have a 12 inch skillet that I seasoned properly and have used right for 20 years. Still working to get that level of perfection on the Dutch oven.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, a very fine looking meal, I'd say you did a fantastic job, only thing is, I'd probably have to shoot Ruger for snatching my bacon! :cry:
Our days are getting much cooler now & I'll start baking outside more, using the charcoal, I'll have to post a photo of my "stove top" for cooking dutch.
Out here in the west you'll find most everyone washes out their ovens with hot, soapy water, I've done it for 40 years, but I've heard many people say not to use soap, just different ways of doing things.

Dick

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I wonder if the "no soap" rule applies to an enameled cast iron
dutch oven such as we see here, I have one with the brand name
Le Creuset I know, the frogs make it but it sure is slick anyway and
easier to clean than my Lodge cast iron dutch oven and didn't need
pre seasoning, just a thorough cleaning and boiling for a while prior
to its first usage.

Quietdood

Bearcat
Wow, that looks good. The only thing that would make that cobbler photo more appetizing is a big cold glass of milk next to it.

sixshot":14nbas2w said:
Jeff, a very fine looking meal, I'd say you did a fantastic job, only thing is, I'd probably have to shoot Ruger for snatching my bacon! :cry:
Our days are getting much cooler now & I'll start baking outside more, using the charcoal, I'll have to post a photo of my "stove top" for cooking dutch.
Out here in the west you'll find most everyone washes out their ovens with hot, soapy water, I've done it for 40 years, but I've heard many people say not to use soap, just different ways of doing things.

Dick

I think most folks think if they wash the cast iron pot/skillet with soap it will wash away the seasoning. It will not. The cash iron is so porous that the grease will go from the inside to the outside. After you wash it with soap just wipe on a light coat of oil and that will work.
I, like sixshot have been washing my pots when they get nasty for the last 30 years. They work fine and no sticking. My mother also washed hers.
Jim

callshot

Blackhawk
I use soap on mine, especially after cooking (boiling down chili sauce) things with tomato based ingredients. We used to have a corned beef and cabbage meal when the sheering of the sheep was done. Cooked in a dutch oven while we were sheering. Most foods taste better when cooked in cast iron. Just my opinion. Steve

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I really wish you would quit posting these.I was wanting to lose a few pounds before hunting season started and I swear,everytime I see one of these posts you do,I have to run to the kitchen and get a snack!Nice looking food.I can almost smell it.