KRH44 4in 44Mag Needs New Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
All,

I am new to the forum but was told by a lot of friends to come to this forum and post my issue. Be patient with me as I am very frustrated due to this situation.

The picture is below and excuse the lint on the revolver I had it in a pouch at the gun show today looking for grips.

I found a really nice pair of redhawk grips and they fit but my grip panel locater the little round black spindle in the grip handle was way to small. This is the new KRH44 4inch from ruger. I really like this weapon but hate the bantam grips, I have been looking for grips for over a year, now I have run into another hurdle and I am getting very frustrated. To the point I am seriously contemplating selling my first weapon in over 18 years of shooting. Even though I have very large hands Ruger really screwed up putting bantam grips on this thing they are just to fat IMHO. I thought it was something I could adjust to and can't.
These are the grips I found today at the show but the best thing of them all they were 49.99 brand new. I ended up not getting them in fear of not being able to use them.
http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/ruger/item_1616002.html

So the question, for those that have changed out their grips have you also had to replace the grip locator with one that has a larger button on it and if so where did you get it (please place and part number) along with the the grips you matched it up with.

The guy swore his grips were for the redhawk and I believe him as he took a used 5.5inch older redhawk he had for sale and took the original factory grips off and put these on. On that older Redhawk the button in the center of the grip locator was much larger. The guy was unwilling to swap grip locators because he then would have been without grips.

I started to trade this 4 inch in on the 5.5inch he had, he would have done a straight up trade but it would have been a major lost for me even though the 5.5 was in great shape, that's how frustrated I am with this project. Something I feel should take maybe a day or two to find grips you like and that's it.

Guys&Gals please lend a helping hand to a frustrated fellow.

Ruger44grips.jpg
[/url]

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Thank you for reading,

I have not tried the want to buy and I did use the search funtion and there is a ton of talk about switching them out and a lot of pictures.

But know ever says they have had to swap out the grip locator. Most of the threads I have read here just mention they swap them out and showing their nice new grips as if it was just a direct swap.

Thank you.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Use the "search" feature on "Red hawk" in all forum categories and you will find quite a few owners of these shorty's... in fact go to the hunting category and search for the member "Short Barrel", I think that's his handle, and ask him for help.

Single-Sixer
You have to use the locating pin (disk) from the longer barreled Redhawks to put anything but the new rubber grips on a 4" gun. The gripframe isn't any different, just the grips. Ruger will sell you the part you need.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I don't have the part number handy, but if you just call Ruger, they will help. I called to order some other parts for one of my Redhawks, and when I asked for the grip locator they sent it no charge. Even if you have to pay for it, it is very inexpensive. Just tell them you want the locator pin for the regular Ruger grips. It really should not be a problem at all. You just pop the old one out and the new one in.

After that, any grips made for the Redhawk will fit.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
As has been said the frame is the same as any other Redhawk so you just need to get the correct locating disk and then any grips from the other Redhawks will fit. I've seen 4" Redhawks sporting the stock wood factory grips off the longer barrel models. You should be able to get the parts from Ruger and then be good to go with any grips made for Redhawks.

I had the same issue with a Smith 686 the other day, I wanted to change grips but the Hogue grip fitted standard to mine had no locating disk at all, so I will have to get a locating disk before I can proceed further.

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Locating disk on a 686? There is usually the mounting stud on the bottom of the frame. I have never had to have a locating disk for a 686 and I have 3 of them all sporting wood grips. Maybe the newer models with the locks have it as all of mine are prelock.

I'm not sure what grips you are wanting to put on your Redhawk but I didn't like the bantam grips either so I removed them and replace them with Pachmayer Decelerators. No issues what so ever. Call Ruger and tell them what you need. They are great to work with.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
mr.revolverguy":2bol6w6q said:
Locating disk on a 686? There is usually the mounting stud on the bottom of the frame. I have never had to have a locating disk for a 686 and I have 3 of them all sporting wood grips. Maybe the newer models with the locks have it as all of mine are prelock.

Depends what kind of grips you want to fit, I didn't want the type that screws into the "doo- hickey" piece pinned to the bottom of the frame, the ones I wanted use a screw side to side.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack":2cv6we1g said:
I'm not sure what grips you are wanting to put on your Redhawk but I didn't like the bantam grips either so I removed them and replace them with Pachmayer Decelerators. No issues what so ever. Call Ruger and tell them what you need. They are great to work with.

Bear Paw how do like the Pachmyr Decelerators on the Redhawk, I was thinking of trying a set, are they bigger overall than the bantams? I can't find a set locally to look at.

Yes they are bigger over all. But they really tame the recoil as I shoot some pretty stout loads. I do use some standard 240 gr WWB but for serious business stick with heavy hardcast Buffalo Bore Ammo. Makes it pretty reasonable to shoot.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
Bearpaw, thanks for the info, I think I'll order some off the web and give them a try, I have big hands so could go a little bigger, I'd like the backstrap covered with the hotter loads. I assume I need to get the locating disc from Ruger to keep them in place on my 4" Redhawk.

Redhawk4":1707dmy8 said:
Bearpaw, thanks for the info, I think I'll order some off the web and give them a try, I have big hands so could go a little bigger, I'd like the backstrap covered with the hotter loads. I assume I need to get the locating disc from Ruger to keep them in place on my 4" Redhawk.

Actually I just pried off the bantams and put on the Pachmayer. Didn't change anything else.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
Bearpaw, how did you find the fit? I got some for another Revolver and they didn't fit together well on the front edge, I've also seen some complaints about fit on web feedback for the Redhawk.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I did exactly what you are trying to do when I bought my 4 inch Redhawk. I actually had a 5 1/2 inch Redhawk and I took those grips and grip panel locator off and put them on my 4 inch. Worked and fit perfect. I then called Ruger and ordered a pair of original wood grips and another grip panel locator. When they arrived I put them on my new 4 inch and they fit perfect. Don't give up, just call Ruger customer service and tell them what you're doing. They will get you the right grip panel locator and you will be set!!

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
The Grip locator part # is HO 3300 for certain if anyone needs it, just got one and fitted it to my 4" Redhawk for factory wood grips among others.