KP89 Stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
13
Location
Latrobe, PA
This was my first handgun over 15 years ago and it's still my daily carry! KP89 (safety/decock) in 9mm. I almost bought a big brother in .45acp a few years ago, but the deal fell through.

358047603eb0bed1d.jpg


rugerP89.jpg


One of these days, I may treat her to a set of Houge grip panels!
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
5,516
Location
Oregon City, Oregon
KP89... There's a local fella that has a KP89 for sale, new-in-box, for $400, and it's got me sitting on the fence. Thought maybe, for that price, I might try one out, to see if I've been missing anything.



Oh, the dilemma. :roll: :wink:

WAYNO.
 

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
477
Location
Kansas
If it is a DC model and you don't like it I would be willing to buy it from you and give you a bit of profit.

tk
 

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
181
Location
Northern Wisconsin
WAYNO":2buc2ra2 said:
KP89... There's a local fella that has a KP89 for sale, new-in-box, for $400, and it's got me sitting on the fence. Thought maybe, for that price, I might try one out, to see if I've been missing anything.



Oh, the dilemma. :roll: :wink:

WAYNO.

I had a new KP89 in my hand at a local Gander Mountain, but they wanted $500 for it. Great gun, but too expensive. At $400 I'd probably snap it up. Tough call being as I already have a p95.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
9,167
Location
Greenville, SC: USA
A KP89DC is one of the guns on my 'waiting list'. I have a KP89X but would really like a decock, the same as my 95s.

Not to be critical Rocket Foot, but the first thing I thought when I looked at the picture of your P89 was that it needed a set of Hogue Grips.
 

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
13
Location
Latrobe, PA
blume357":pju0nn31 said:
A KP89DC is one of the guns on my 'waiting list'. I have a KP89X but would really like a decock, the same as my 95s.

Not to be critical Rocket Foot, but the first thing I thought when I looked at the picture of your P89 was that it needed a set of Hogue Grips.

LOL, I know...I do want the Houge grips...I've had that Houge sleeve on it since before the grips were available. Someday I'll get them! Right now, it still fits my hand like a natural extension, so it isn't too bad.
 

wildturk

Single-Sixer
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
174
Location
S.W. Pennsylvania
WAYNO":1h4b0jud said:
Well, you guys made me buy it. :roll:

GEDC0138.jpg


WAYNO.

Good choice, I haxe a KP89X and a KP89DC that's from the early 90's and has never had an issue. As soon as I find a slide my 89X wil be a DC too. Nice pistol, you'll like it.
 

wlhump

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
18
RocketFoot,
I see you reviewed a Taurus PT1911 on another site. You were very positive about it. A year later, do you still feel the same? Looking at a 1911 and liked the option of the Taurus, but a little concerned of the quality reputation some seem to have given Taurus.

As to the KP89...I'm with you. Love mine.
 

QB

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
386
Location
Carrollton, TX
If you want the Ruger badge/logo on the Hogue grips (rather than the Hogue logo), order them from Ruger. I originally purchased two sets of Hogue grips and then found out about the Ruger grips. I ordered the Ruger grips and they arrived in no time at all. Now I have to sell the Hogue grips one of these days. Same grips, I just prefer the ones that have the Ruger badge/logo.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
5,516
Location
Oregon City, Oregon
kscott":1z6h0tmm said:
Every time I see a P89 they look more and more handsome. I want one!! :mrgreen:

It's funny you said that. I always thought P-Series Rugers were the biggest, clumsiest, most uncomfortable ugly ducklings of the handgun world. And, I still mostly do. But, for whatever reason, I have found myself recently, very interested in them, and I also catch myself convincing myself that they're not that bad. :lol:

Once I take this gun out, and discover it shoots as well as everybody says, then I'll have to apologize to my little ugly P-89.

WAYNO.
 

RocketFoot

Bearcat
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
13
Location
Latrobe, PA
wlhump":1ju3pvzh said:
RocketFoot,
I see you reviewed a Taurus PT1911 on another site. You were very positive about it. A year later, do you still feel the same? Looking at a 1911 and liked the option of the Taurus, but a little concerned of the quality reputation some seem to have given Taurus.

As to the KP89...I'm with you. Love mine.

PT1911 is a good gun! PM Sent!
 

bub

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
245
Location
NE Ohio
WAYNO":2xsi7t9j said:
kscott":2xsi7t9j said:
Every time I see a P89 they look more and more handsome. I want one!! :mrgreen:

It's funny you said that. I always thought P-Series Rugers were the biggest, clumsiest, most uncomfortable ugly ducklings of the handgun world. And, I still mostly do. But, for whatever reason, I have found myself recently, very interested in them, and I also catch myself convincing myself that they're not that bad. :lol:

Once I take this gun out, and discover it shoots as well as everybody says, then I'll have to apologize to my little ugly P-89.

WAYNO.

WAYNO, face it, they ARE homely guns. But, in my experience with my KP89DC, they work just as well (or BETTER!) as other, higher-priced guns. Standard capacity, 15rd mags are common and relatively inexpensive. The only real drawback to the P89 is the lack of aftermarket accessories. I don't pimp my guns but there is little out there for the P89 series, aside from sights and holsters. As soon as I get some cash, I plan on doing the P95 trigger mod that I have seen here to mine. I find the factory P89 trigger a little uncomfortable, but aside from that, I really like mine. In fact, mine does bedside duty at home. I can't think of a better endorsement than that!

Bub
 

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
7,566
Location
missouri
Nice piece. I have a comment regarding the previous post about mixing safety and decock models. I didn't think it would be much of a problem until I started carrying a KP95DC. After several years with the DC, I find myself drawing a safety model with the safety still on. Very embarassing during practice but much worse if it was for real. Even when I'm paying attention,sooner or later, I reholster with the safety on and the next draw, just a loose trigger. I feel the safety model is a little safer because it can be loaded with the safety on while the DC is hot until you decock.
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
5,516
Location
Oregon City, Oregon
bub":230rd749 said:
WAYNO, face it, they ARE homely guns. But, in my experience with my KP89DC, they work just as well (or BETTER!) as other, higher-priced guns. Standard capacity, 15rd mags are common and relatively inexpensive. The only real drawback to the P89 is the lack of aftermarket accessories. I don't pimp my guns but there is little out there for the P89 series, aside from sights and holsters. As soon as I get some cash, I plan on doing the P95 trigger mod that I have seen here to mine. I find the factory P89 trigger a little uncomfortable, but aside from that, I really like mine. In fact, mine does bedside duty at home. I can't think of a better endorsement than that!

Bub

Actually, I'm not being as serious as I sound. :lol: There's no doubt that this gun is generous in its dimensions, but that very well could be why so many folks are as pleased with its shootability as they are.

This gun appears to be very well made, and I'm sure that in its niche, it'll be a fine gun, and a fine shooter.

Thanks.
WAYNO.
 

Latest posts

Top