Knife Sheath I Recently Finished

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
I thought I'd post some pictures of this custom sheath I just shipped out. It is a dangler sheath made for a Ontario Ranger RD6. It uses Pull the DOT snaps for the belt loop and dangler strap for easy on and off. The stainless d-ring and dangler strap can also be removed for standard belt carry. It also has a firesteel loop for a 1/2" inch diameter firesteel along with border stamping and initials to personalize and dress it up a bit.

2i87qf9.jpg

nczdpc.jpg

2yyvxw8.jpg

coach

Hunter
Very nice. I have a couple of old knives that I keep thinking about trying to make sheaths for. That inspires me even though I know they could never look as good as yours.

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks!

steveodtw said:
Very nice, professional job. Did you use a welt? I never used a dangler-type sheath. Advantages over traditional belt-loop type? I like that it can be used either way.

Thanks.

Yes, the sheath has a welt. All my fixed blade sheaths have a welt.

I like a dangler sheath because it moves more freely so it can easily be moved out of the way when sitting. Sometimes especially with a larger knife in a standard belt sheath, the knife handle will jab in your side when sitting. A dangler also rides lower and that can help keep it out of the way of a coat or jacket. A lot of times on a dangler style sheath there will be a hole in the bottom of the sheath for a leg tie but this customer did not want one and most of the time I don't care for a leg tie either. With a leg tie though, it does allow sheath to actually move with your leg when sitting, bending, squatting, walking etc.
Even on a standard belt sheath, I prefer it to ride a little lower and have a larger belt loop so it moves more freely.

Ryan