KMK678GC(?) Front Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Please let me know what you think about the front sight in the attached picture, is it factory? Seems strange that someone would spend the money to have a dovetail installed to use a bead front sight with the factory rear sight.

I also have added a picture of another of the same model with the usual factory sight for reference.

is this a factory pistol? Model number is not unique….

Attachments

• 4DE8DF4F-2581-4AB7-BD4F-44508DEEBF92.jpeg
    4DE8DF4F-2581-4AB7-BD4F-44508DEEBF92.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 101
  • C6389F5C-D38E-4351-A570-F2E05DF68F64.jpeg
    C6389F5C-D38E-4351-A570-F2E05DF68F64.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

TestEngineer

Bearcat
Not a factory Ruger barrel at all. Based on the early VQ paddle trigger, I'd guess the barrel is an early Volquartsen Custom product as well.

appears to be a competition slabside barrel may be "recontoured", we did one years ago ,flattened it out a bit bottom 1/3, and yours has a dovetail slot cut in the top for a standard sized dovetail lots of makers out there these day,. and some good machinest, I did mine all by hand with draw files, never owned a lathe or a mill, but we had access to them........its a lot easier to profile with a 1 inch piece of bar stock to start off with...even put holes for weights on the bottom of some way back like the High Standards were..............but to ME, slabsides are heavy enough,but lighter that full bull barrel 6 7/8 inches long.........:cool:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Long ago, when I got my MKII Comp Target, I also wanted a gold bead front sight to match my V-notch rear sight. I took a spare screw on base, and dovetailed that to install a gold bead front. Loved it.

But they were never offered with that option.

Long ago, when I got my MKII Comp Target, I also wanted a gold bead front sight to match my V-notch rear sight. I took a spare screw on base, and dovetailed that to install a gold bead front. Loved it.

But they were never offered with that option.
Contender
I believe that you are correct, but someone who I know and respect is telling me that this was a factory job, now I know never to say never with Ruger, and it is always possible that an EMPLOYEE performed the work AT THE FACTORY, as i have seen many one offs come out of Newport, especially in the early 90's when SR was spending most of his time in AZ for his health. The original trigger parts were in the box so there is no question that the V trigger was added later, but I am very intrigued by the front sight and I think that the look is something that WBR Jr would have played with, as I knew him well enough to understand his love of that look.

There are many retired employees of that era selling off their collections or their wives/children selling them off and frankly, I am seeing more and more "engineering samples" coming out of the factory now. Just look at how many unique, non-cataloged, or one-offs were sold over the last few months from the Henry Rodeschin collection. I have a few myself and know that they came out of the factory as UGB guns. Also, because the new leadership/engineering group have no connection with the older models and no sense of history - the factory is selling many of the same type of guns, sales samples, etc.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good points NH Rugerman! And you are correct, many odd or "one off's" have appeared.

But I guess I should have stressed; "Not a factory cataloged model"! :D

However,, to make it worth any more than a production model,, a paper trail is a necessity. A factory letter OR,, factory letterhead papers describing what was done AND listing the serial number of the gun. Such as a "work order" or whatever.
Sadly, w/o such paperwork, it's just a "modified gun."

Contender
I just went to look at the gun in person, I don't believe it was done by the factory, the sharp edges and unfinished look on the dovetail suggests to me that this was NOT a factory sample or something done for a special purpose. (The original hole for the factory front sight mount is still visible and i explained that I didn't believe the factory would use a gun with a front sight already installed, but rather a new barrel to try the dovetail sight). I told the gentleman that the price he paid (about $430.00 w/auction fees) was good for what he has, I actually told him that I would buy it from him if he decided he wanted out of it. The trigger is superb and it actually has the Volquartsen accurizer kit installed, not just the trigger.

I then told him what we read on the forum very often, BUY THE GUN, NOT THE STORY….

The work may have been done by an employee on his own time, but that doesn't add any value to the gun as it was not a factory authorized variation!!

(I hope he calls me, as you said, I really liked the bead front sight!!)

contender

Ruger Guru
Good job doing a very close inspection & study of it. I fully agree,, "Buy the gun,, not the story" UNLESS the story can be backed up with actual paperwork or provenance.

for that price he paid for what he wanted and that he got , appears to be, a GOOD shooter,,,yes he got a nice gun for a very good price and NO extra for ANY story or wishful thinking.....I learned that MANY years ago in talks with Mr Grainger who used to do the teak work on SR's. boat and was SR's neighbor down in Florida,,,,,:cool:;)