KGP-831 Something Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
What is a KGP-831???

A GP100, with 3 Inch Barrel, In Bright Stainless Steel, With Adjustable Sights, Chambered in 38 Special +P.
From what I have read this is a Davidson Special Order Revolver, and One of Twenty Davidson ordered. Serial Number is 176-647XX. The Fired Cartridge Date is 19-Apr-13 .
5btd7s.jpg

The 3 Inch GP100 after a little tuning. Altamont Letts style Fancy Rubber Grips with Fancy Fish Scale Wood Inserts.

2dv7vxx.jpg

Rear View of the Marble Green Fiber Optic Front Sight. A big improvement over the Black steel front sight that came on it. I was tempted to order a Gemini Quick Change Fiber Optic Front Sight, and still may.

2zeccyc.jpg

Side view of the Quick Change Marble Fiber Optic front sight. This is the one for a 480 Super Redhawk. From what I had read the correct one was supposed to be the one for a 44 Magnum SRH. I think they ment for a 44 Magnum RedHawk.

29n8qj9.jpg

GP100 in a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake. Also shown is a Safariland Comp III Speed Loader in a Big Creek Kydex belt carrier. The Pancake is my main holster. I believe I have 10 of them at the moment. Oren makes a great pancake. The Green Dot on the top of the Comp III identifies it as being for a 686/GP100. My K Frame Comp III's are plain black with no dot.

Along with the change in Grips and the Front Sight, this GP100 has had a trigger job. Wolff Springs were added as were .005 Shims on the Hammer, .003 Shims on the Trigger, and .005 shims on the Hammer Dog. The Hammer Dog was polished. The Hammer Spring Strut was slicked up, as well as all the other internal parts needing a little attention. I cleaned up all the Drilled holes, so now all the pins can be pushed out by hand. The Trigger came out very good on the GP100.

I will be running this one next month in our ICORE Revolver Match in Classic Division.

I checked the chambers, and they are indeed cut for the 38 Special. I gave some thought to having Ron Power cut the chambers deeper, however I will shoot several Hundred if not several Thousand 38 specials through it to every Single 357 I might shoot in it. Between the wife and I we put 500 rounds of 158 grain 38 Special through my 686-5 last weekend shooting Steel. I will be on the range all next week with 19 shooters. I figure I will probably end up putting 500 rounds through this GP100 during the week, next week.

I have wanted either a 3 Inch SIX Shot S&W 686-4, or an Adjustable Sight 3 Inch GP100 for a long time. I think I am going to enjoy this Revolver a lot. The fit and finish on this GP100, my Willy Clapp GP100, and my two SP101's has been very good. No complaints at all with any of them. It seems to me that Rugers Quality Control has gotten better the last few years. Not so sure I can say that about S&W Revolvers.

Bob

Very nice! I like the look of that revolver and with all the work I'll bet is a great shooter. The front sight is similiar to the Match Champion and I would prefer the adjustable rear like on yours. Overall a great package.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Beautiful. Now it looks like Davidson's has added yet another non catalogued GP100/38 only. This one is a 4" ss, full lug with fixed sights.