JWH Target Hammer kit on 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Always-fixin'

Bearcat
My kids are having a bit of trouble with the stock 10/22 trigger. It's just a bit too much pull for smaller fingers. So I broke down and got a JWH target hammer kit which is in the mail now. It purports to reduce the trigger pull to 2.5 to 3 lbs. A little lighter than I might wish for, but ya' gotta go with what's available. I honestly only bought this kit instead of a volquartsen because it was the cheapest option that professes to do the job. I don't care so much that I get the perfect trigger pull, I'm not a good enough shooter to be a trigger-connoisseur. However, I have seen some reviews lately that essentially say that this kit does effectively nothing for the trigger pull weight. That would not be useful at all. So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with this hammer kit, and does it do the job it advertises? Yes, I know I can spend LOTS of money and get a 'perfect' trigger but that's not going to happen. I just wonder if anyone has has any luck with THIS one?

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
On Rimfire Central there was an article long ago about modifying the trigger pull with a bobby pin. You might be able to search for the article and see if that helps.
And if you install the kit you ordered, be sure to save the factory parts so you can restore it later.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I think before I would modify the 10/22 for smaller ones, I'd get a
Cricket (small, single shot). They do quite well up to around twelve
years old, and make sure that excitement doesn't cause safety issues. :D

Always-fixin'

Bearcat
I'm normally all about DIY, but when it comes to this one I'm not too comfortable messing with the trigger, especially since I only got one of them and if I mess it up it could be a real safety issue. There are plenty of videos and such about how to do a trigger job on the 10/22, but I'm not so hot on the idea of cutting on the only trigger I have. I thought about getting them their own rifle, but that involves significantly more than the $30 bucks for the hammer kit, and the 10/22 trigger IS pretty stiff and can use some lightening up to get decent accuracy anyway.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Look around on the web for the Ruger BX trigger. Some places sell that trigger group for $59.00, or so. It's a nice trigger for the money. Pop out the two pins and exchange the trigger group for the factory trigger group. Easy to do and you can go back to the original anytime and sell the BX if so desired.

Always-fixin'

Bearcat
I looked into the BX trigger, and all the reviews on it consist of trigger-snobs saying what a piece of crap it is. So I figured if all I can hope to get out of it is a little lighter pull, might as well save the money and just do the hammer swap. There are LOTS of people out there insisting that a $300 trigger is the 'only' way to go, (on a $200 gun???). Personally I'm living in REAL America with low pay, high taxes and expensive everything-else, so $30 is a lot of discretionary income.

9x19

Hunter
I've had good luck with the Volquartsen hammers, if that is the limit of your budget, I think you'll be pleased.

The only way I would try the BX trigger is if there were a retailer with a number of them on hand I could try. I've read they are packaged to allow you to test them, and have also read about an equal number of negative/positive comments on their pulls.

Although Randy at CPC does an excellent trigger job on a 10/22 (and all you have to do is send the trigger group), it costs $89 these days which is outside many folks' budget. I will say it's probably the best $89 you can spend on a 10/22.

http://ct-precision.com/

Good luck

To the OP, you might check out Brimstone (up in Washington state I think.) they have different levels of trigger tuning to smooth up your existing trigger. They have good reviews over on rimfire central. I've wanted to send them one just haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyway, like I said they have different levels for however much you want to spend.

Latest posts