Just wondering...has anyone ever worn out a Six Series Rev?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pvq

Bearcat
I posted this on another forum but just thought I would look for some feedback here as well.

I'm a 27 year law enforcement veteran who was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the autoloader world. I've always preferred revolvers, and while I like S&W's fine, I always thought the Ruger Six Series was the epitome of service revolver design.

I've read pretty much all that there is to read about the six series, and how the GP100 was developed in order to complete with the S&W L frame etc., and I got to wondering...has anyone actually worn out a Series Six Ruger? It seems to me the GP100 is overkill...

Your responses are appreciated...

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I had a speed six 2 3/4" barrel that I seriously tried to wear out. I don't know how many thousands of 357mag went down the tube. I sold the gun and regret selling it. Even after many thousands of rounds, the only wear I saw on it was a little erosion in the forcing cone and that was minimal and just normal wear and tear. It was far from worn out and I would imagine it had several thousand more rounds of life in it.

Jeff

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
What jeffnles1 said! I've had a old blued four inch Security Six for quite awhile with a lot of rounds down the tube and other than blueing wear it's still good to go.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a family member's duty gun, a 4" SS of 1985 make, carried and used regularly in two Sheriff's depts. over more than 25 years. It was originally SS and had a trigger job by the dept. armorer (when he could be pulled away from the VFW bar), and has gone through thousands of rounds in 357M and 38+P. We shot it on inumerable weekend shoots and informal competitions. Despite a couple of replaced grip sets and a front sight, it has never needed internal parts replacements.
Disclaimer: It has always been cleaned up well after being fired.
It is still 101% dependable and accurate as the ammo being used.

I don't know if I've ever heard of someone wearing one out from use. There have been those that were abused (overly hot hand loads that caused failures) or neglect (rusted or bouncing around in a truck tool box, etc.) But I can honestly say I've never heard of one just wearing out.

hittman

Staff member
Never, ever, ever known of one to be worn out or need the side plate screws tightened.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I had a Security Six that could have used a new extractor star. I bought it used and it skipped a chamber from time to time.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Back in the day I carried 4" Sixes--one Security and one Service, both in .357. Was also the firearms officer for my agency. I was doing a lot of shooting those days plus running qualifications. We went from +P+ Treasury Loads to 110 JHP Magnums to 125 grain Magnums (all factory fresh ammo) and shot the stuff up by the case. Both guns eventually developed enough forcing cone erosion to where I was getting a lot of spitting. Both contined to work fine, just got tired of particles in the face each time I fired. Sent one, then the other in for new barrels and a refinish. Ruger did the first one gratis. Still have both guns which are in fine shape.

My agency's issue guns were mostly stainless Speed Sixes in .357 with 2 3/4" and 3" barrels. The only one that ever went down was due to the cylinder release button's pivot screw (installed and staked at the factory) backing out and tieing up the gun.
Other wise, loc-titing the ejector rod and keeping the star recess clean and dry made for 100% reliable guns.

I used mine right to the end in spite of Glocks and SIGs being authorized for duty. I would do the same today, except for maybe carrying two...

Great guns that never should have been dropped. That's why I try to never run low on them.