Just purchased 6.5 KS6 star model SS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bruceg

Bearcat
I purchased a SS that was missing the cylinder for a real good price because I already had several spare cylinders. The owner said he had misplaced the cylinder along time ago and that it only came with the 22 LR cylinder when he naught it. When I received it I noticed it was a Star model. I was wondering if it would be worth it to send it back to Ruger to have a replacement cylinder fit for it or just use one of the ones I already have. The pistol didn't come with the box or any paperwork. It's definitely used but not hard. Is there much value with all the stuff missing? I know the star pistols are some what rare. I do plan on shooting this pistol. Any information would be appreciate.

Attachments

• 0FD94328-E985-4537-AB40-019D8B257E85.jpeg
    0FD94328-E985-4537-AB40-019D8B257E85.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 67
  • B1C34812-877C-4D5B-918D-BA14DDCCEDB6.jpeg
    B1C34812-877C-4D5B-918D-BA14DDCCEDB6.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1317F002-0461-4DA5-AF54-2B512DB6BB0C.jpeg
    1317F002-0461-4DA5-AF54-2B512DB6BB0C.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Yes, what Contender said.
I think the "star" indicated shipped as NOT a convertible, LR cylinder only.

contender

Ruger Guru
Another thing. Ruger will not add a cylinder to a model that didn't originally ship with one. Since this was a single cylinder gun,, I doubt they'd add one to it for you.

bruceg

Bearcat
Contender, I didn't want to add another cylinder to the pistol, I just thought the pistol would hold it's value more if Ruger replaced the missing cylinder (the original owner lost the cylinder).

Really nice find! The stainless finish can be touched up easily if there are any issues that bother you. For a shooter I agree with SteveRuger. If you want to increase its value, then a Ruger replaced cylinder is probably your best bet. However, unless your extra cylinders (stainless) have a partial serial number engraved on them and they fit well, I doubt it would make much difference.

bruceg

Bearcat
My original intention for this pistol was to replace the plow handle grip with a Birdshead grip, that I already have, shorten the barrel and ejector rod housing to 3.75, drill and tap new holes for the site and ERH, and install a powers free spin pawl to make it into a shooter I could carry around the property and out hunting. I had a suspicion, when I was waiting on this to be shipped, that it might be a star model. The owner didn't post any pictures of the bottom side of the gun when he listed it on GB. When I called to pay for it he said that it only came with the 22LR cylinder when he bough it, (which he lost), and that started my suspicion. Now that I have it and know that it is a star model I'm undecided on weather to continue with my project with this pistol, or find another pistol to continue my project and save this one as a collectible. I don't know if the collectors would even be interested in this if it has a miss matched cylinder, that I've already fit to the pistol. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Star models are desirable to some collectors. Condition is also a big consideration. So, if it were MY gun, I would not do any irreversible changes to it.

I'm a little confused.
"When I called to pay for it he said that it only came with the 22LR cylinder when he bough it, (which he lost), and that started my suspicion.
I don't know if the collectors would even be interested in this if it has a miss matched cylinder, that I've already fit to the pistol."

You say it only came with a .22 LR cylinder. That would be correct for the Star gun. Are you saying you already fitted a .22 Magnum cylinder to the gun?

If so,, a collector would only care about the original, correct configuration,, not the extra cylinder.

trapperon

Blackhawk
The other dilemma is that the stainless "star" revolvers had the firing pin groove in the LR cylinder. Ruger has long discontinued that method so even a new factory fitted cylinder with no groove would stand out to any serious collector.
Ron

bruceg

Bearcat
Contender, The pistol didn't have any cylinder with it when I bought it. I had an extra 22LR cylinder that I fit to it. No 22 WMR cylinder. So from what I gather, the pistol without the original 22LR cylinder has no collector value.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow,, no wonder I was confused. I thought it had just the .22 LR cylinder, and you wanted to add a .22 Magnum cylinder. Duhh,, my mistake.
Ok, in this case,, Ruger would likely replace the cylinder with a correct one for that model. I would send them the gun w/o a cylinder & a note about the original one being lost.
Then the gun would be "as shipped" because Ruger did the correct cylinder.
I would also keep ALL paperwork on it with the gun.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Wow,, no wonder I was confused. I thought it had just the .22 LR cylinder, and you wanted to add a .22 Magnum cylinder. Duhh,, my mistake.
Ok, in this case,, Ruger would likely replace the cylinder with a correct one for that model. I would send them the gun w/o a cylinder & a note about the original one being lost.
Then the gun would be "as shipped" because Ruger did the correct cylinder.
I would also keep ALL paperwork on it with the gun.
But the new cylinder would not have the proper period correct firing pin groove like the early new model long rifle cylinders had. So not exact!
Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
Maybe,, maybe not. If when you sent the gun back,, you can specifically state it was a "Star" model, and you need the correct firing pin groove cylinder. Ruger most likely would do it.

hittman

Staff member
I'd CALL Ruger and ask about the correct cylinder before making any decisions.
The only decision I'm firm on now is to NOT chop it up.
But …. Your gun, your choice.

Yes, it has collector value at least to me regardless of which cylinder is in it.

chet15

Hawkeye
I'd CALL Ruger and ask about the correct cylinder before making any decisions.
The only decision I'm firm on now is to NOT chop it up.
But …. Your gun, your choice.

Yes, it has collector value at least to me regardless of which cylinder is in it.

The correct cylinder would be an LR cylinder with the firing pin groove. Ruger wouldn't know if that is correct or not for the gun, as opposed to a cylinder without the groove.
Chet15