Just never get tired of seeing Bob Hoover

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
I'm sure many of the folks that love aviation have seen Bob Hoover's videos or like some of us...been fortunate enough to have seen him when he was active in the air show circuits....Nobody like him in my book. If you haven't seen this before you might enjoy it...

https://youtu.be/uhkmY3rELeY

SAJohn

Hunter
I had the good fortune to get to watch his performance at an airshow that included the Blue Angels. After the show the Blue Angel drivers were, in a turnabout, getting Hoover's autograph. He was that good.

Snake45

Hawkeye
One of my proudest photos--my Dad, my stepson, and Bob Hoover in the same picture (in the late '80s). The kid went a different way in life and will probably never appreciate how special this picture really is.

My son, on the other hand (several years from being born at this time), just finished flight training to become a USAF C-17 pilot....

Dad29.jpg

Grandson was with him on his 90th Birthday at The Living Legends of Aviation at the Beverly Hilton Hills in Hollywood last January.

Listening to him at Oshkosh WI.

Yes he is one of the GREAT ones and a true Hero. Not only is his airshow flying outstanding his whole life has been. Like escaping from a German POW camp and stealing a FW-190 to fly to freedom to name a few.

By the way if you watch the vid you will see the both engines streaming a white smoke. That isn't smoke but oil coming out the breathers due to going negative in the rolls without an inverted oil system. The rear and engines of the plane are covered with oil after the show. He will find some kids to gladly wipe it down for him

kasTX

Bearcat
I had the good fortune to fly with him after the last race on a Sunday afternoon at the Reno air races many years ago. I hopped in the right front seat, while my father and a friend from grade school hopped in the back seat of the Shrike Commander.

He fired it up in a few seconds (no printed checklist) and we were off. He didn't do the full routine but I do remember the "zero airspeed stall" and him directing me to look out the side window so I could see we were vertical.

Returning to land, he shut both engines down, feathered the props and pointed the nose almost straight down at the end of the runway. I remember thinking, "He'll never get it stopped from here." :shock: He leveled off about three feet above the runway, flew the length of the runway, then pulled up into left traffic, flew the entire pattern, and made a beautiful landing. He fired everything up again while rolling out, and taxied in.

It was obvious he had done this hundreds if not thousands of times. His hands just flew around that cockpit.