Just got a new GP100 SS 4"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Shooter

Bearcat
This is my first post here, so hello everyone! I just purchased a new GP100 Stainless Steel 4". I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but it feels great in my hands.
I usually carry a Glock 27, so the GP100 will probably stay on my nightstand. I live alone, so no children to worry about. I plan to use 125 gr hollow points for self defense, but I am curious about a good 38 caliber bullet to use at the range. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
:wink: Congrats! Great Gun. My favorite gun for the .357 cal. I used to reload, and my 38 Special hand loads usually consisted of a unspeceified amount of a powder known as "Bullseye" and I like wadcutter design bullets. My loads were very light, and they were ment for punching holes in paper targets. I suppose if I had to choose from store bought .38 Special Ammo I'd probably buy from what ever might be on sale. The GP-100 is a great gun, and I'm sure many in here will attest. have fun!

Gumby

Bearcat
Hi, and welcome to the Ruger Forum.

If you don't reload, look into CCI Blazer. They make a few different types.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=628739

CCI Blazers also come in .357 magnum. I find it very manageable in my GP100, and when I use it I don't have to worry about crud building up in the cylinder.

As Anthony Williams said, you can also just buy what's on sale and see what works best.

Gumby

GP100man

Buckeye
WELCOME Ruger Shooter & congrats on your purchase !!!

i`ve cast since `83 & have shot very little store bought stuff but have since gotten serious `bout seein what cast will do & the biggest thing with the gp ( as with any revolver) check to see if the throats are at least 358 dia. to shoot lead & always buy 358 boolits .

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger Shooter":3vfgz555 said:
I just purchased a new GP100 Stainless Steel 4". .

Congratulations on the best balanced GP ever made !!! I own one of it's sisters.

REV

maxpress

Buckeye
do you reload?

find out if one of your local stores has a local caster. one of ours does and i buy 500ct of 158swc for less than 30$. i use red dot and a cci to push it. the recipe is on alliantpowder.com.

if you want loaded bullets then i would try cabelas bulk bullets i guess.

maxpress

Buckeye
if you want to get into loading cheap then get a lee hand press and a powder drop and dies, oh and a scale. i think i got into that setup for about 60-80 bucks. i can put out about 200rds a movie. ive got a press downstairs but i also have a 2yr old so thats not an option right now.

Ruger Shooter

Bearcat
maxpress":610galiv said:
if you want to get into loading cheap then get a lee hand press and a powder drop and dies, oh and a scale. i think i got into that setup for about 60-80 bucks.

I think I will do just that. I have heard that the Lee loaders are good. I think I'll check at Midway and Brownell's to see how much they are.

Ruger Shooter
Welcome. I also have a 4' GP100. Mine has a trigger job done by Teddy Jacobson. Great guns.

I shoot Hornady 158 grain XTP's mostly.

I bought the Lee Anniversary kit about 9 years ago and it works fine. I suck with the balance beam scale, so got me a Cabela's electronic scale. Just recently added an RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. You bought the best new 357 magnum revolver in double action made right now. It will out live you! Enjoy your new revolver. And with all rugers, the more you use it, the better the trigger becomes.

Good luck,
roaddog :wink:

LTB45

Bearcat
Ruger Shooter

I found this forum right after I bought my GP 100 4" SS (my first revolver). Great Gun and great people out here. Lots to learn from them. Now I know that I have to get a SA in 45 colt or I will not feel complete! LOL!!

dougader

Hunter
Great revolver. My all around favorite 357 mag.

I used to buy the Winchester "white box" ammo to practice with at the range. In 357 magnum its loaded with a 110 grain jhp and isn't loaded to max pressure, but definitely more than a 38 Special.

That way I was always saving my cases for reloading later. Now I just load my own, usually with some bulk Winchester 125 grain jhp's that I got in bulk awhile back.

Great choice in the GP100. I have the same one. Great shooter. For bedside, consider Hornady Critical Defense or TAP in .38 special +P. Low flash, Less penetration through walls, good expansion. >357 Mag is to much for inside the house. If it doesn't blind you & the bad guy it will probably set him on fire. If you ever get up north in the boonies, try firing .357 in the dark. You'll see what I mean. Enjoy.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Ruger Shooter,

Welcome to the forum and to the joys of shooting wheelguns.

So, you are interested in reloading. You will love not having to crawl around sifting through gravel to recover your brass. Just bring a bucket to the range, put it at your feet and empty your brass into it.

Check out this thread on RugerForum.com

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

If the link doesn't work, paste this into your web browser or just look over into the "Factory Ammunition and Reloading" part of this forum.

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

As good as the Lee Classic press is (I own two) I suggest a one-piece cast iron single stage press. It is overkill for handgun cartridges, but you will never wear it out with just a minimum of care.

Good luck, good shooting, good shopping.

Ruger Shooter

Bearcat
Here's a couple of pics of my GP100.

P1000065.jpg

P1000055.jpg