Just got a new 10/22 and having problemsw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mclaren3435

Bearcat
hey all i just got a new 10/22 anhd the thing keeps on jamming, i noticed on the rounds that were not fired that there is gouging happening on the heads then looked at the barrel and was wondering if the barrel need to have i guess a slide/channel to help guide the bullets into the chamber like many other rifles/pistols i have seen? any comments?
i am also using two different types of mags maybe they are it?

wolfee

Blackhawk
Can you post some macro pics of the "gouged" cases? No, the rifle does not need any other feed ramp. Magazines are Ruger and in good condition? Is this a used rifle that some ham fisted amateur has worked on?

mclaren3435

Bearcat
nope cant post pics, it looks like the heads are hitting the lip of the barrel, gun in spanking new, i just put 50 rounds through it the other day, and the ruger mag feeds ok and the other two are 25 rnd, 1 is a butler creek with plastic lips, and the other is a no name ( literally no name on the mag ) steel lipped one. the rounds are remington thunder and remington viper, the thunder rounds i did not have as much of a problem with (but still a problem) and the viper ones i could not get to feed unless they were in the ruger 10 rnd mag

wolfee

Blackhawk
When you say the genuine Ruger feeds ok, does that mean it does not gouge either? If so, it seems pretty clear that the problem lies with non Ruger mags. If you are getting gouging with a Ruger mag, and it's a brand new gun, I would pack it up and send it back to Ruger with samples of the gouged spent cases. Reliability is what this gun is all about and that shouldn't be tolerated and you shouldn't have to fix it. Lots of aftermarket mags work great and lots don't. One of the things that there seems to be a pretty good concensus here is that the steel hot lips are a lot more reliable than the plastic ones. As for the mag with NO name, throw it away. btw, Ruger has always been anti add on parts (product liability stuff) but are particularly emphatic about using genuine Ruger mags and keeping them clean.

mclaren3435

Bearcat
its not the casing that is being gouged it is the tip of the bullet, like it is getting caught on the barrel edge before it enters the chamber

wolfee

Blackhawk
Well, sounds like a question of degree. All soft lead bullets can receive some dents and dings on the way into the chamber but they should only be tiny and incidental. If it is enough to bother you, and it happens with the Ruger magazines, I say again--send it back. If it happens with non Ruger mags (only), switch to the metal lipped Butler Creek version and see if that helps. Personally, I would never put a non Ruger mag in an autoloading Ruger, but many here use them with great success.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Like these?

IMGP0150JamNose.jpg

IMGP0133LR.jpg

Turned out to be a magazine problem. Ruger replaced it with a certified, used magazine. No charge.

If I read your second post right... the answer is obvious. It's the 25 round mags.... most of these are pretty cheap... sometimes they will iron themselves out after a while and start working better. I use butler creek steel lips and they work pretty good... just keep in mind you get what you pay for.

I put about 200 rounds through my two 10/22s and a Charger yesterday and I used the 10 round factory mags exclusively.... I'd get a couple more of those first before fishing for good high capacity after market ones.

Even using the factory 10 rounders yesterday, I would get a stove pipe (different from your problem) about every 20 or 30 rounds. But then I'm not the most diligent cleaner with my rifles... they shoot better after having a few rounds put through them anyway.

mclaren3435

Bearcat
whoever posted the pictures, that is exactlly what is happening, the ruger 10 round mag does this every 100 shots or so, the butler creek one does it the first few rounds out of the mag but the rest of the mag is ok and the no name steel lipped mag does it almost every round. i put 155 rounds through it today and it seemed a little better but i encountered another problem though, i would get my scope dead on at 50 yards but after about 5 shots i would need to adjust it again turns out my scope after 155 rounds walked up the rail almost half an inch even after tightening it multiple times, could this issue be fixed with the bolt stop pin being replaced with a buffer pin? anybody here have done this and what were your results?

wolfee

Blackhawk
Sounds like you got the old style base. Get the new one and the rings cannot move--if you install the scope with Weaver or Weaver type. I sent my old style back to Ruger (brand new) and they swapped me for a new style one no charge. Here is a pic:
http://shopruger.com/Combination-Ruger- ... nfo/90226/

The buffer might help but new style base is a certain fix.

If the Ruger mags are denting just 1 in 100 rounds I would be inclined to give it a while and see if it isn't just a break in issue.

mclaren3435

Bearcat
it is the new base, like i said we have owned the rifle less than 3 weeks and we bought it new, maybe they are just crappy rings

wolfee

Blackhawk
If the scope is sliding inside the rings, yeah, I would say they are REAL crappy. Cheap, aluminum Weaver style can get a grip on most scopes under center fire magnum recoil. Is it possible you have a 30mm ring set and a 1" scope? In any event, just get some Weavers. They are cheap. Medium height will mount most scopes on a 10/22. I actually cleared the folded rear sight with a set of low Weavers using a 4x scope with small objective (Weaver 4x rimfire).

5Wire

Single-Sixer
mclaren3435":muf4bccd said:
whoever posted the pictures, that is exactlly what is happening...

That would be me.

The magazine lips were evidently far enough apart that the spring could push the next cartridge up too high to be carried forward into the chamber. Since mine was a Ruger magazine on a new rifle, Ruger replaced it, I probably could have bent the magazine lips to avoid the problem.

mclaren3435

Bearcat
yep it was the rings that were the problem, got a pair of weaver brand rings and they are perfect, also turns out the no name brand mag is actually a pro mag brand mag, took it back and exchanged it for a butler creek hot lips mag and still had a few miss feeds but it was not as bad, do you guys lube your mags ( if so how do you do it and with what? ) to help reduce miss feeds, the mags seem to not be quick enough to push a round up, also i have heard that i should replace the bolt stop pin with a buffer pin? would that help anything at all?

I think you have to run a couple hundred rounds through the plastic lip mags to get them to do better.

Like I mentioned above... pick up a few more factory 10 round mags... most of the time when trying different ammo these are the best way to go. 25 round mags are to look 'tachticool'...

but then I have 3 25 round butler creek steel lips in gray / smoke color and really want a 4th but it seems they don't come in that color any more. Note you can pop the two butler creeks together one up one down and really be tachticool... I'd put a dust cover over the feed end of the mag pointed down though...

(for when you are running from one position to another and have to hit the dirt fast) :)

Latest posts