Just getting started with 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That's one of the things about die sets and a progressive press. Sizing and decapping is first. How do you trim, tumble and pocket clean. I generally like to size at the priming station because it stabilizes the case. If I'm processing large batches I set up the progressive with the case feed and just decap before trimming and tumbling then pull the pin and the first station sizes and primes. I'm wishing I would have gone with a 4 station press because the 5 stations are way more complex.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I've been using Lee for decades. Simple and reasonably priced. I'd recommend starting with the hand press. It really let's you feel what's happening. I can use it sitting at my desk waiting for a return call or something. It's also handy for load development. I can take primed brass and my powder measure to the range and throw a few charges and shoot for group over the chronograph. Don't even attempt reloading without a chronograph. Once you are comfortable with that you can step up to other presses. I think I'm up to 6 or 7. Sometimes it's handy to have a few set up for individual operations. Managing a progressive involves serious attention to detail. A light that shines down in the cases between the charging and seating dies is handy to verify consistent charges. Also an extra sizing die with the decapping pin removed is great to stabilize things at the priming station.

Didn't a member here show a flexible light? To attach to press? The more light, the better!

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I started with Lyman dies and a Lyman press. I have Lee, Hornady, RCBS, also. Lee dies come with a factory crimp die. There are many old names you don't hear about today. And, the old reloading manuals are interesting to read. Old timers use to buy factory ammo and fire them off, to get empty brass.

Didn't a member here show a flexible light? To attach to press? The more light, the better!
There's a guy on one of the gab or MeWe pages that makes a flexible LED strip that you can mount around the upper turret. Any 6" battery powered led strip will work. I think I have seen them at some of the formerly dollar stores.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, if you are going to talk lights for a press,, I can NOT stress the quality, and such of a KMS Squared light. Veteran owned & operated, top quality & very reasonably priced. Most attach to the underside of the press body, and as such give a great all over the work area light.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
Ok, if you are going to talk lights for a press,, I can NOT stress the quality, and such of a KMS Squared light. Veteran owned & operated, top quality & very reasonably priced. Most attach to the underside of the press body, and as such give a great all over the work area light.
Thanks Ty. I'm going to look into them. The older we get, more light we need.

Pretty sure that's where I got mine. He also made me a set for my Chrono.

Funny - this whole thread reminds me of when I was "just getting started with 9mm". I bought a Lee hand press, a Lee hand-held Auto Prime, a set of their powder dippers, and one of their 9mm Speed Dies. For components I went to Midway (free shipping on every order, back then). I followed the written instructions and - voila! - 115gr JHP ammo that my P85 ate like candy! I still use the Auto Prime and dippers on a regular basis, and even the hand press once in a while!
:)

Funny - this whole thread reminds me of when I was "just getting started with 9mm". I bought a Lee hand press, a Lee hand-held Auto Prime, a set of their powder dippers, and one of their 9mm Speed Dies. For components I went to Midway (free shipping on every order, back then). I followed the written instructions and - voila! - 115gr JHP ammo that my P85 ate like candy! I still use the Auto Prime and dippers on a regular basis, and even the hand press once in a while!
:)
I have but never actually used the dippers. I use the Perfect powder measure on a little plywood base. I also use the scale to verify the settings every few dozen rounds.

s4s4u

Hunter
You gotta be careful with the Lee FCD if you shoot lead. It has been known to swage down lead bullets, resulting in poor case neck tension and leading in the barrel.