Just for sixshot,,, well,, a few others too

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Sixshot has been ragging me for a few years to switch handguns when I deer hunt. My trusty Contender in 7x30 Waters has been my primary meat gun for a long time. I have an area that I have to try & make sure a deer doesn't run far. So, a neck shot causes instant, drop in their tracks kill, AND doesn't ruin meat.

I only took a few revolvers in 2019 to Colorado on an elk hunt,, but didn't get any chances at elk. I really wanted to take an elk with my El Dorado in .45 Colt.

Well, I was able to get a deer with my crossbow in October,, and since I only need about 3 deer a season to make sure I have meat for a year,, I knew I had a good chance at a few more deer here. So,, my PLAN was to surprise sixshot with a revolver kill,, but he bugged me the other day,, saying I needed to put the Contender down & use a revolver.
Well, Our gun season opened this past Saturday,, & I didn't get to go out due to running a USPSA match on my place. So,, Monday,, my gun season started. And sixshot made his comment,, so I mentioned I was already ahead of him,, as I'm only carrying my El Dorado.
No deer seen Monday,, and just a quick glimpse on Tuesday so no chances.
Then this morning,, I got a text from my cousin,, saying there was a dead deer,, hit by a car,, on the edge of my property. I got the message about 9 am. I slipped out of my stand,, and went to check. Sure enough,, a nice fat mature doe had met it's fate & lost to a vehicle last night. And the coyotes had already began feasting. I'm sure it's one of the deer that had been frequenting my place.

Back to my stand.

Then this evening,, about 5:30 pm,, I caught movement,, and a doe was slowly working her way towards me. Feeding along,, and my daylight fading fast,, made me wonder if I could "git 'er done."

Well, The El Dorado spoke,, with authority,, and the doe went down. My shot went a little higher than I planned,,, but she didn't go far. A little high in one shoulder,, and busted out the middle of the off shoulder.

So,, my El Dorado has taken a deer,, but I still want an elk. Maybe in 2022 if I can find a place to go!

It was too dark to get any pictures,, but we've all seen dead deer before. She's gutted, skinned & hanging. I'll finish quartering her up tomorrow.

Oh,, my El Dorado rides VERY comfortably in my Doc Barranti NW Hunter rig. Love the rig!

sixshot

Buckeye
Great job Tyrone, and I know you are good with a revolver, I've seen you shoot a single action 45 before! Just figured with the shortage of 7mm bullets that now maybe a few of your buddies can get a few of them for their single shots :mrgreen: Congratulations!!

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Harrump! Shortage of 7mm bullets. Not here! :D

Seriously,, As I've often mentioned,, it wasn't that I didn't want to use a revolver,, I just liked the DTR, drop in tracks, neck shot so I didn't have to follow blood trails, and possibly have a deer cross property lines.

That El Dorado performed just as I expected. My distance was only about 50 yds. Not a hard shot.

Good job Contender! I carry revolvers, but I don't usually see deer. Last year I passed on a too small deer with Redhawk in hand at 10 yds. Last years doe was at 28 yds, but with a bolt gun. One day I will get one with a revolver.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't share exact load info,, just for safety's sake. But I can say I use a Miha cast slug,, 285 grn, powder coated,, WLP primers, and IMR 4227 powder.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem. I had a good chuckle.
And this year,, so far,, (2) deer with my Encore muzzleloader, and (2) with my Contender in 7x30 Waters.
I'm back to carrying the El Dorado for my last 2 weeks. I have (1) deer tag left.

Well good luck, only got 1 buck this year and with a rifle.

Attachments

• C6BB845E-8274-4405-BF0D-507B14723D3A.jpeg
    C6BB845E-8274-4405-BF0D-507B14723D3A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55