Just for information

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When it became apparent that I needed to have the option of using the 6.5 Cr for my upcoming elk hunt, I began looking for more appropriate ammo. My rifle seemed to like the lighter end of the bullet weight range and I found Sig Sauer offered a 120 grain all copper expanding HP load. I bought and shot a few to determine if the accuracy was acceptable (which it was) and then bought enough to make the trip and have plenty for local hunting.
I finally found the time yesterday to do an expansion test and found I'd made a mistake. During the initial accuracy testing I found the velocity was on the low side but within tolerance considering the variations in barrels. I shot these bullets at my 'standard test media' (2.5 gallon chemical jugs filled with water with 4 jugs stacked together). This is NOT a ballistic gel test, this is a bullet to bullet test using known performance bullets in a similar test media.
What I found was the Sig Sauer bullet expanded minimally in the first 8", tumbled and exited the second 8" container sidewise, exited the third 8" jug base forward, and was stuck bassackward in the frontal surface of the 4th jug. The final 8" of penetration indicated the bullet had veered off course at approximately 30* angle.
This is not acceptable for several reasons. Plan B is a stash of 3 boxes of Nosler factory loaded 140 grain partitions. Rifle is re-zeroed with this ammo and after another zero check will be ready for New Mexico in 2 weeks.
The Sig ammo will be used for deer hunting as I feel it is adequate for this purpose but it's certainly not going elk hunting.

Update on this post: 2023 large bodied whitetail buck @ 200+ yards and Sig Sauer bullets didn't expand boring a hole through approximately 18-24" of shoulder, chest, and exited. Deer ran 50 yards leaving ZERO blood trail.

In my view it's pretty irresponsible of Sig to offer such a product without a notice on the box to the effect that it's for target and plinking use and not hunting.

Well, that's the problem. It IS recommended for hunting. Might have cost me an elk if I hadn't checked the performance. I figured the 'tumbling' part would be OK for deer.

Update on this subject: After not finding my review posted on Sig Sauer website customer reviews for this ammo, I sent a message to S/S customer service asking if poor reviews were automatically trashed. Today, I got a response that my review has originally been set aside for "PROFANITY' content (which I most certainly had not used) but had been re-evaluated and was now accepted. OK??
I tried to check this on the S/S website and found I'd been BANNED from access. o_O

Update on this subject: After not finding my review posted on Sig Sauer website customer reviews for this ammo, I sent a message to S/S customer service asking if poor reviews were automatically trashed. Today, I got a response that my review has originally been set aside for "PROFANITY' content (which I most certainly had not used) but had been re-evaluated and was now accepted. OK??
I tried to check this on the S/S website and found I'd been BANNED from access. o_O
Curious if you mind sharing what you posted there? I just checked out the sight and they have some pretty scathing reviews from other customers. I could let you know if yours shows up.

That's just plain crappy. I understand any company doesn't want bad press but, in the end, if they act on bad reviews by making a better product, we all win. I wonder if they really make the bullets, brass and load it inhouse or are buying someone elses ammo.

Curious if you mind sharing what you posted there?
Late November of last year, I posted a bad review on S/S 6.5 Creedmoor 120 grain ammo. The bullets tumbled wildly off course after striking test media and failed to expand on game even though they were advertised as suitable for hunting.