Just for fun..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If I've done this here before, please excuse my lapse of memory.

The year is 1868, and you're a Confederate veteran living in the Reconstruction South, occupied by yankee troops. You and three of your good friend, all Confederate veterans, decide to leave the South and head for Kansas to become buffalo hunters. You expect to set up camp near Fort Hays. You have gained sufficient funds to outfit yourselves and are going to select your firearms to take with you, maybe buying most of your arms in St. Louis.

Now, what guns will you buy for the adventure? And why? (P.S. Ruger is not in business at this time.)

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Sharps Big 50 rifle. (This rifle was made to take down buffalo)
That's true, But I'd also suggest a repeating rifle and a handgun or two. Some of the locals didn't take too kindly to your shooting their buffalo. And some folks would rather take your hides than do the work themselves. Wouldn't hurt to be a mite better armed.

Bob Wright

A little about the Battle of Adobe Walls in 1874 and what guns you need.

I'm not to sure what Sharps was available in 1868. What ever was used had to have been made in 1866/67 to get out to the hunters.
Sharps made sporting versions from the late 1840s until the late 1880s. After the American Civil War, converted army surplus rifles were made into custom firearms, and the Sharps factory produced Models 1869 and 1874 in large numbers for commercial buffalo hunters and frontiersmen
The 1874 by "Sharps Rifle Company," is probably the most well known and the 1875 by "C. Sharps & Company"

The Indian force was estimated to be in excess of 700 strong[1]: 208 ​ and led by Isatai'i and Comanche chief Quanah Parker, son of captured white woman Cynthia Ann Parker. Their initial attack almost carried the day; the Indians were in close enough to pound on the doors and windows of the buildings with their rifle butts. The fight was in such close quarters that the hunters' long-range rifles were useless. They were fighting with pistols and Henry and Winchester lever-action rifles.

Billy Dixon never claimed that the shot was anything other than a lucky one; his memoirs do not devote even a full paragraph to "the shot".[4] He, however, did confide to people in the area that he took the shot near an outcropping of rock that hunters regularly shot from their camp in a betting game.[5]Forensic archaeologists have discovered that the guns in use at Adobe Walls included several Colt Paterson's, some Smith & Wesson Model 3's and at least one Colt Single Action Army pistol, along with numerous rifles in calibers .50-70, .50-90, .44-77, .44 Henry Flat and at least one .45-70. At the time Sharps did not use designations like .50-90 ("Big Fifty" Sharps). Instead, it designated cartridges by bore size and case length. Technically, the "Big Fifty" was known as the .50 Sharps 2-1/2 Inch.

Ok Bob,
I just got back from the local "The Best Gun Store This Side Of The Misisp."
Now I'm ready to go find me sum Buffs. and rake in the big dollars.
I was able to find a rather rare Sharps New Model 1866 Sporting Rifle with a 301/4" barrel in .50 Caliber rim fire cartridge. No need to mess with caps and paper cartridges.
I also found an Iron Frame Henry which is in 44 Henry has you well know. It will give us a little more firepower in case some of those Injuns want to give us all a hair cut. After all you can load that ole Henry on Sunday and shoot it all week. The Henry will go great with the brace of Colt 1860s that have been converted to 44 Henry. The Colts might just be needed if you get a little rowdy with some cowboy in that Salon you been wanting to go spend your skinning dollars in. I'm pretty sure the girls are not as pretty as everyone says they are. But I'm sure you won't mind. They might ifen you can't get that Buff stink off of youself.
I think this will be a pretty good start of a hunt. I do hear rumors that Sharps is gonna be making sum big cartridge rifles in those new central fire cases come the early 70s. I hear tell they will shoot near a mile. I will have to get me one of those so you will have more skinning to do.
Well Get the wagon loaded I'm ready to shoot me a Big Ole Buff for you to skin.
I'll shootem you skinem so Dude and Pilgrim can cookem .

Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ok Bob,
I just got back from the local "The Best Gun Store This Side Of The Misisp."
Now I'm ready to go find me sum Buffs. and rake in the big dollars.
I was able to find a rather rare Sharps New Model 1866 Sporting Rifle with a 301/4" barrel in .50 Caliber rim fire cartridge. No need to mess with caps and paper cartridges.
I also found an Iron Frame Henry which is in 44 Henry has you well know. It will give us a little more firepower in case some of those Injuns want to give us all a hair cut. After all you can load that ole Henry on Sunday and shoot it all week. The Henry will go great with the brace of Colt 1860s that have been converted to 44 Henry. The Colts might just be needed if you get a little rowdy with some cowboy in that Salon you been wanting to go spend your skinning dollars in. I'm pretty sure the girls are not as pretty as everyone says they are. But I'm sure you won't mind. They might ifen you can't get that Buff stink off of youself.
I think this will be a pretty good start of a hunt. I do hear rumors that Sharps is gonna be making sum big cartridge rifles in those new central fire cases come the early 70s. I hear tell they will shoot near a mile. I will have to get me one of those so you will have more skinning to do.
Well Get the wagon loaded I'm ready to shoot me a Big Ole Buff for you to skin.
I'll shootem you skinem so Dude and Pilgrim can cookem .

Yup. We're thinkin' along the same track. But maybe I'd go for a brace of the Old Army Colt Pistols. Pack a little more power. But if I could get me one of the new Winchesters I'd prefer that. Wouldn't have to stand 'er up on the butt to load it.

Bob Wright

Latest posts