Just finished reading RUGER & HIS GUNS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Interesting read. Learned quite a bit about Bill Ruger Sr. He designed and made his own machine gun in 1940 using basic hand tools. Also designed and built his own automobile and boat. He singlehandedly built his company in to a world class manufacturer of uniquely designed firearms. He truly was the Samuel Colt of his time.

Figure this thread needs a pic ;)

7849D073-8A26-4DAD-ADA2-5B2CDFD173A5.jpeg

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I'm putting the book on my "to read" list - I knew he designed quite a few firearms but didn't know it extended to cars and boats. Is Bill Ruger #2 behind JMB?

bigbillyboy

Single-Sixer
Is there a follow up book by R K Wilson ? I seem to recall he was going to do one and may have passed away before he finished it ?

Cholo

Staff member
I just looked on my book shelf and I have the book, though I've never read it. I will now! My dust jacket is different than the one posted above. They're pretty inexpensive if bought used on Amazon.

I just looked on my book shelf and I have the book, though I've never read it. I will now! My dust jacket is different than the one posted above. They're pretty inexpensive if bought used on Amazon.

My copy looks like yours Cholo. I found it at the Half Price Books for $1.00 a long time ago!

And yes, it is a great book, especially for ten bucks used on Amazon.

Rum River

Bearcat
Great book, I re-read my copy every other year or so.
There are a number of pieces of information related in this book that intrigue me.

The top two for me are:
1.) Bill Sr. approached a design from the aspect of how practical the manufacturing process could be.
2.) As of the copyright year of the book (1996) the only money the company borrowed was $50,000 from Sturm's family to start the company in 1949.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, there are (2) different dust jackets. The one with the antelope & the cut-away of the SA is the first one,, while the second one shows the colage of stuff.
And no,, there isn't a later or second edition.
BUT,, if you seek really good info on Rugers,, and want to expand your library of books, I suggest John Dougan & Don Findley.
Both have some books out that are a WEALTH of knowledge. Don has some books out that delve into the family history of both Bill & Alex. John has a book out that's a very, very definitive research of the guns.

Bill Sr. designed & built (2) cars, a yacht, & all kinds of other items. Valuable history & luckily, pretty well recorded.

1675095788682.jpeg

Latest posts