Just bought three Blackhawks and would like to know more about them

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coup d'etat

Bearcat
Geetings to all. I am new here and would like to get some info regarding three revolvers I just purchased from a widow's estate. Unfortunately there are no boxes. From my limited research on the 'net, I have two Super Blackhawks in 44 Magnum, and a Blackhawk "flat-top" in 44 Magnum.
Both of the Supers have brass frames with the top one with wearing Jay Scott stag grips.
The bottom is one is a regular Blackhawk that appears to be unfired. The Super with the stag grips has the most wear but I don't detect any issues.

The serial numbers from top to bottom are:
80-33600
322 (3 digit serial?)

How can I tell if either of the Supers are factory brass framed?

Many thanks, Coup

Attachments

• IMG20221230194348.jpg
    IMG20221230194348.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG20221230194336.jpg
    IMG20221230194336.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 325
Last edited:

40nascar

Banned
Awesome!! You have a first year .44 mag flat-top!! And all three are 3 screw models!! You probably have at least $4500 worth of Value there. Probably much more. Congratulations!!

gunman42782

Hunter
You would have to ask for a letter from Ruger to verify if the Super's where shipped with a brass frame. Think it's still 10 bucks for this service. Would be well worth the price, as it would increase the value of them significantly. The 3 digit Blackhawk is awesome! Don't see many anymore.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The 3 digit could be a first-month gun shipped in Nov, 1956. The letter can tell you. If it is a 11/56 shipped gun it will bring a little more than a 12/56 or 1/57 gun. I have one a few digits higher that shipped 11/56 and yours looks nicer than mine which I value at $1800, so yours could be $2000+

Your brass frame guns are not listed in Dougan's "Ruger Pistols & Revolvers" book as verified brass frame guns. They are both in the low end of non-prefixed and prefixed serial number brassie ranges, so if they were legit they would be worth good money - particularly the non-prefixed one. There were only around 20 non-prefixed Supers made per Dougan's book, making those the rarest of the centerfire brass frame old models. I have one of those legit no-prefix brass frame Supers and value it at $6000. A legit prefixed brass frame Super would be more along the lines of $1700.

If they cannot be confirmed, they are basically worth the sum of the parts, so something like:

Regular blue Super value minus value of missing blue steel grip frame plus value of brass grip frame. That would put you in the neighborhood of $1K each and then add in some extra value for the added aftermarket stag grips on the one gun and subtract out the value of the missing walnut panels.

Ruger sold the brass grip frames as an accessory for $20 back in the day so there are plenty of guns that had the brass frame added after the fact. The brass grip frames by themselves fetch around $300-350 today.

Coup d'etat

Bearcat
Thank you gentlemen for all the replies. There were actually originally four pistols offered but someone else grabbed the 357 Magnum. That one sold for $700 (made in 1973). The 357 had a jeweled hammer so it looks like it had some work done to it

No one was interested in the 44 Magnum Blackhawks so I was able to get all three for $1000 out the door.

Attachments

• Blackhawk.jpg
    Blackhawk.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Wow! $1000. That is a score. I remember those days here in Oregon… but the last time I found a decently priced gun at a sale was many years back. Got a Lee Enfield for $75.

I salute you, sir on your amazing purchase.

Coup d'etat

Bearcat
I almost didn't pull the trigger on the purchase because $1,000 is a lot of money after spending for Christmas. I knew it was a good deal but my gun budget does have limits. The two Supers and the regular Blackhawk were advertised at $400 each

40nascar

Banned
I'd give the lady the extra $200 just to clear my conscience. ($400 x3). And it's still highway robbery

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm late to this thread,, so I can't add much to the real info part except; "GET THE LETTERS from Ruger."
At $10 per letter,, you'll get the model info, the mfg date, the ship date, and where it went.

At $1000 for all 3 guns,, you got one of the best deals I've seen lately.

The non-factory stags,, at least $250.
The brass grip frames,, by themselves,, $300-$325 each.
A 3 digit, 7-1/2" Flattop 44,, $2000 easily if it letters.
Then the two guns, even if you brought them back to "as shipped" condition by adding (2) grip frames, (say $100 each for the g/f's,) easily $600 each.

Yep,, you got a SMOKING deal! I would have refunded Christmas presents to buy them if necessary. :D