Just answer the questions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

graygun

Hunter
Why do folks think it's cute or trendy to answer a question and start the sentence with "so" when no narrative or story is being discussed? In a strict Q&A session why try to be cute? I just watched a few minutes of news on the tv and the CIA guy was answering questions about ISIS this way.

I know "too much time on my hands" applies here as I'm a retiree and not overly occupied. :lol:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The gov. types are expert at the 'Glomar' answer, "we can neither confirm nor deny".

...and if you don't know what the Glomar was... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response

quote> The Glomar Explorer was a large salvage vessel built by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) for its covert "Project Azorian"—an attempted salvaging of a sunken Soviet submarine. In February 1975... <end quote

stevemb

Hunter
Am guessing then, folks dropped into the hot seat that don't want to be there, but their boss told them to handle it, is the topic ?

stevemb

Hunter
Doubt that cute or trendy was his goal. Avoidance and a job come Monday, more likely.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Most of the time I hear people start a sentence with "so" I doubt they're really aware of it: it's just another of many fillers we pick up and use every day, which will be replaced by another, and be worked to death just as well, if not soon enough. It's much like the irritating buzz words and terms that constantly invade our language and drive one up the wall after a while. So, just taking it to the next level and thinking outside the box, it is what is is, ya know? Augghhhhh....

Something else will be along soon enough. ;)

Rick C

pisgah

Buckeye
I have calibrated my silent "Moron Alarm" to go off every time I hear a sentence beginning with so, like, you know... the list grows.

So, I heard a blurb on NPR the other day on this. One of the editors counted how many times in one week his reporters started their sentences with so. It was in the 300's if I remember correctly. He directed people to be cognizant, reduce the number of times it happened. Now I find myself doing it more often! :shock: :oops: now that I am thinking about it.
gramps

Latest posts