Just a little something to tighten your sphincter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
That reminded me of the scene in Air America when Gene landed the..... PC-6 Porter?.... on the mountain strip.
I was not able to find that scene.....but did find these.........and they both has some great music.

https://youtu.be/lj2aw2zjdlA

https://youtu.be/oY0ojYeoNmE

exavid

Hunter
We'd have called that a long strip in NW Alaska. He wasted over a hundred feet on touchdown. No rocks or logs to dodge either.

I learned to fly on a 1200 foot grass strip using either a Champ 65 hp, or a standard Cessna 150. The South end had a "slot" in the trees before the fence ( literal). We would slip down in the slot, flair coming over the fence, touch down and roll up the hill to the hangers- no brakes Ma! When I went for my check ride, MaMa Bird ( Evelyn Johnson), made me do a short field landing on a 3,000 foot airport. Needless to say we landed, and stayed on the numbers :) in a stock Cessna 150. Nothing fancy, but fun. Man I miss those days!
gramps

Robes

Single-Sixer
Flaps out.. power on.....start your flare just short of the threshold. Runway isn't any good behind you. I used to base out of an airport that was very short and had "high obstacles" (trees) at one end. You got REAL good at short field maneuvers. Still fly my pattern the same way even though the runway is over 4,000 feet. Most of the time I need to add power to make the first turn-off. Saves on tires and brakes.....

Robes

Single-Sixer
I have had my C150 for 30 yrs,... bought it,... then learned to fly in it. Wanna know what is a real stitch? Slipping with 40 degrees of flaps! The 150 is one of the few airplanes that can do it because the flaps do not shield the elevators. You gotta put the nose down convincing to keep the airspeed up,... but you lose altitude like a piano out of third story window!!!

I'd post a picture,.. but I don't have any on a publicly accessible server....

Robes, the plane even shudders with that configuration! :mrgreen: yep, the flaps are like barn doors. The flair is convincing too. Are your flaps electric or manual. Fun to clean up fast on landing with a manual to keep a gust of wind from making the plane balloon. :shock:
gramps

Robes

Single-Sixer
I don't get any shudder? The flaps are electric. I tend not to deploy a lot of flaps in a heavy cross wind. I extend my pattern and only use about 10 degrees. Much less work in ground effect... Your right about barn doors though,.... you go from 30 to 40 and it feels like someone threw out the anchor....

bogus bill

Hunter
These two Polish pilots made a landing. The pilot says, Whew! This is the shortest strip I ever seen! The other guy says, Yeah but it`s the widest one I ever saw!
My Citabria 7GCBC is at the FBO as we speak for it`s annual.

exavid

Hunter
My old C170B was placarded against slipping with full flaps. Of course I had to find out why. At 5000' I gave it a try, full flaps and a steep side slip. Felt like the tail fell off for moment, real hard downward pitch toward the slip. That satisfied my curiosity so I didn't feel the need to do it again.
Have any of you who fly had the Cessna flap tattoo? Mine took a couple weeks to fade away. Real hazard on the 170-180 with 850 tires.