JMiller- Black River bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I just wondered if you have any idea of the hardness of their bullets. They look really good and the prices are competitive. I didn't see any BHN reference in the description of them. Thanks, Dennis

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I e-mailed them. The response was." Unless otherwise specified the hardness is about 12 bhn. I'm not a big fan of the super hard bullets and most of the sales reinforce that.

Joe "

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I agree that they look interesting. They don't look bevel based which some folks object to and they aren't super hard which also some folks object to. I'm wondering how fast that you can shoot them without getting a lead mess? If you buy some let me know how they work out.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Luckyducker, the fatman,

I have had great results with Black River Bullets. They are Keith designs as his web site states. NO bevel bases and the lube is very good. Not the hard crayola stuff we see from some manufacturers.

I've used both his 358429 .357 bullets and the 255 and 265gr .45 Colt bullets. They've worked very well for me.
I've not gone crazy with loading them, usually either 9.0grs Unique or 18.5grs 2400 for the .45 Colt bullets, and 13.5grs of 2400 for the .357 bullets. No leading to speak of from my revolvers, and no leading at all from my two .45 Colt rifles.
I have him size them .358" and .454".

I'm down to my last 50 of his 265gr .45 Colt bullets and I'm out of the .357s so I have to order some more.

Joe

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
The Fatman, I have found bullets that look like what I want but they are always so hard they lead the bores of my revolvers. The load I am currently shooting in my Vaquero 45 (not my bear killer load, LOL) is a 270 grain .452 Leadhead Kieth bullet over 9 grains of Universal and this load is probably as accurate as I can shoot with my old bi-focaled eyes and iron sights but it leaves a lot of lead behind. I think the Leadhead bullets are around 20 BHN. I haven't been shooting much since the weather has turned cold, especially pistols, but when it warms up some I might thin my supply of bullets and re-order some of these. If I do I will post the results from them.