Jim Shockey Attacked By Cougar...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I found this interesting, not to mention his explanation which sounds very plausible to me.
I want to thank everyone who has been calling and emailing me to find out if I am ok after the cougar attack. Yes I am fine. It was a very close call, too close actually, but thankfully for my cameraman Taylor Smith and me, it was the cougar that ended up being dinner, not us.

In case you have not heard about the attack, it happened just a few days ago, while I was out hunting black bear in our Vancouver Island outfitting territory. Taylor and I were returning to camp in the mid afternoon, when a cougar crossed the little used logging road in front of us. Here on Vancouver Island, the regulations allow for two cougars to be taken per hunter per year and the season runs nearly year round. Only the summer months are off limits. I always carry two valid cougar tags and this last spring season we have seen more cougars than anytime since the late 1990’s, when we had a similar spate of cougar sightings and several documented attacks on humans.

Taylor and I continued walking towards where the cougar crossed the logging road and as we passed the spot where it crossed, it attacked us from behind. It had obviously crouched down and hid in the thick undergrowth beside the road and waited for us. I whirled and shot from the hip, disabling the big male cougar as it leapt at me. Taylor captured the attack on camera and you are looking at a video screen grab from an instant after I fired.

An examination of the full grown male cougar showed that it was emaciated, starving, which probably was the reason for the attack. There was a single hole through the paw, which could have been a bite from another cougar, or could have been my Nosler bullet passing through the cougar’s paw, shoulder and back hip. When the cougar crossed the road, it did not seem to be limping.

Hunger was likely the motivation for the cougar attacking me. The bigger question is why was this mature male cat starving? That question will have to be left to the biologists to determine officially, but my “feet on the ground” opinion is pretty simple and logical. There are too many wolves and those too many wolves, as they have done in Saskatchewan and many other places, have eaten most of the deer. They run the roads, roads that we humans made, which essentially gives them “uber” wolf predation powers. The effect of too many predators is never pretty. All predators, like this poor cougar, will starve.

It’s the Law of Unintended Consequences. Sadly our human hearts are often in the right place, but reality is reality. All animal populations need to be managed. Wild or domestic.

Sorry but I have to add one more thing, a bit of a soapbox speech that you can feel free to ignore. It’s my “feet on the ground” greater concern. A cougar starving and attacking a human is one thing...but a starving grizzly bear is another matter. Grizzly bear hunting was banned in British Columbia recently, for 100% political reasons against sound scientific wildlife management advice. Biologists have monitored Grizzly bears have proven that a single grizzly bear will kill and eat up to 30 new born calf caribou and moose every spring during the birthing season. Here in British Columbia, the health of the large ungulate population is already of concern, so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to predict the future. Grizzlies here in British Columbia, like the wolves here on Vancouver Island, will soon eat themselves out of house and home...and when they have eaten all the baby caribou, moose, elk and deer as they are being born...what (who) do you think they will look upon as dinner next?

Mark these words.
Doom and gloom aside and to end on a lighter note, I guess if there is a bright side to this unfortunate event, it’s that even at 60-years of age...cougars are still attracted to me!!
https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/posts/1690079797708665

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
On another forum I was am on, sometime back there was a huge argument as to whether you carry a rifle hot, or wait and chamber when you find something to shoot at. I fall into the second category. Apparently Jim falls into the first. :mrgreen:

redhawker

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
On another forum I was am on, sometime back there was a huge argument as to whether you carry a rifle hot, or wait and chamber when you find something to shoot at. I fall into the second category. Apparently Jim falls into the first. :mrgreen:

...or maybe he chambered one when they saw it cross the road prior to the attack, just as a precaution. Either way, good thing it was ready to go.

coach

Hunter
redhawker said:
Bear Paw Jack said:

...or maybe he chambered one when they saw it cross the road prior to the attack, just as a precaution. Either way, good thing it was ready to go.
Don’t know about you but seeing a cougar crossing in front of me would get a chambered round real fast. And maybe the safety off too.

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim is an honest outdoorsman,, and it proves even well educated folks can find themselves in a bad situation. But,,, he was prepared, and as such,, survived.

But his analysis of the situation is spot on. We are headed towards a big problem in many places where alpha predators will again rule.

Thank a Disney education for this.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Daughter found a cougar track (verified by DNR) in our private road in MN lake country this week, Hubbard county.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
New facebook post by Jim

This will be a long one. And also it is a photo that’s surely going to get me attacked a second time! Many of you were asking if this cougar that attacked me was a mature animal. Yes it was. A big full grown male. Emaciated though; should have weighed 140-pounds, but was down to around 100-pounds. Others have told me they can’t understand how the two unfortunate cyclists in Washington State, could not have fought off the cougar that attacked them. This question comes more from hope than from reality. We want to (need) to convince ourselves that we would have survived if we had been on those bicycles when the cougar attacked, killing one rider and mauling the second. All of us who spend time in the outdoors, want (need) to believe we are in control of our destinies and that we are different, we are not victims, we are proactive, so we carry pepper (bear) spray, a stick, a knife or in the case of a hunter, a gun or bow and arrows and a knife. Unfortunately the truth is the truth and if you want a tiny taste of what those two cyclists were up against, and what I would have been dealing with if I hadn’t shot the cougar as it leaped at me, just try holding your house cat against its wishes...and multiply that by 1000. Sorry but the truth is, those cyclists did their best and deserve our respect, they fought for their lives...they just did not have a firearm to tip the scales in their favour as I did.

Wish I could add the pictures he posted. He added holding up a piece of cougar:

No. Cougar meat does not taste like chicken. It is however, one of the least known yet highest quality culinary delicacies in the “kill what you eat and eat what you kill” organic food movement. Only caveat, make sure you cook it well, like pig and bear meat, it can harbour the trichinosis parasite. Last thing, for the record, cougar tastes like pork...with zero fat.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Wolves = bad news for the ecosystem we know in North America.
Where wolves are known to be, deer and other prey mammals will cease. Eventually the wolves and other predators will cease also. Ponder that.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Wolves are known to move to a new place where there is more fresh meat to wipe out. It's one thing for wolves to kill for food, but they also kill for fun when they get in a pack frenzy and just leave meat to rot. Their numbers are way out of control.

don44

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
Wolves are known to move to a new place where there is more fresh meat to wipe out. It's one thing for wolves to kill for food, but they also kill for fun when they get in a pack frenzy and just leave meat to rot. Their numbers are way out of control.

+1

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:

Fact is I do not know a single hunter who hunts with an empty chamber, myself included!
Running the action when game or a predator is spotted is crazy! JMO naturally.
Click off the safety and your ready! ps

Latest posts