Jim Carmichel's Book of the Rifle... A Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was browsing the used book store last week and came across this book. It's written in 1985. I'm sure someone here has a copy, but I just wanted to say it's a really good book to those who haven't.

He covers a lot of topics, such as: ammunition, history of rifles, ballistics, sights and scopes, trigger mechanisms, African rifles, Varmint Rifles, and ends with the ageless .22.

He also must have know Bill Ruger, there is a picture of the two together, and it seems Carmichel did a lot of testing using a Ruger No. 1. and says one of the most accurate rifles he owns is a Ruger Model 77.

Anyway, I haven't finished the book, yet, but so far it's very well written and interesting enough to hold my attention. There are plenty of pictures and diagrams to help explain the concepts he covers.

BookoftheGun.jpg

Chief Engineer

Bearcat
Have read through mine many times. Great reading. Pay particular attention to his custom built rifles. One heck of a stock maker.

Chief

gunman42782

Hunter
I have the Book of the Rifle too, have owned it for many years. Lots of good stuff in there.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Carmichel's Book of the Rifle along with Jack O'Conner's rifle book were my "bibles" in my early days of being transformed into a gun loony. I too was always amazed at Carmichel's stocking ability. A good read.

The Preacher

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Right now I'm in "AMERICAN RIFLE, A BIOGRAPHY" by Alexander Rose. Not really in the same type of ballpark, but I highly recommend it.

I just read "American Rifle" and was astonished at how much I DIDN'T know after sixty-some years of reading and talking about the various subjects he covers. And how some themes and controversies in US culture "just don't go away"! A smart and balanced book, for sure.

P.S: Alexander Rose's "Washington's Spies" is equally eye-opening. Robert Rogers of "Rogers' Rangers" fame--you'll get a whole new take on him. And the intelligence/counterinsurgency business--we're in the "same old, same old," situation there, too--technology be damned.

gunman42782

Hunter
M'BOGO":2f0qqbpa said:
Right now I'm in "AMERICAN RIFLE, A BIOGRAPHY" by Alexander Rose. Not really in the same type of ballpark, but I highly recommend it.

I got that one too. Great read! One of the more interesting gun books I have ever read.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
The insight, in AMERICAN RIFLE is unbelevable.

Sorry Kevin,

My intent wasn't to have your post stolen, or take off in a different direction. I am just very impressed by the book I'm reading as well, and wanted to pass along a good word.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Mike Armstrong":1njyvw5q said:
P.S: Alexander Rose's "Washington's Spies" is equally eye-opening. Robert Rogers of "Rogers' Rangers" fame--you'll get a whole new take on him. And the intelligence/counterinsurgency business--we're in the "same old, same old," situation there, too--technology be damned.

I'll have to pick up a copy of that as well.