January 2019 Rifle Magazine - Heavy Ruger Focus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...

I highly recommend the January 2019 Rifle Magazine. It's a commemorative double issue celebrating 50 years of the magazine, and includes a complete reproduction of the first issue of the magazine from 1969 (which featured a cover article on the M77).

The reproduced 1969 content has articles about 'new' items of the day - the M16, new gun laws, and the M77. Of course it's always interesting to just flip through the advertisements from 50 years ago as well.

The new (2019) content includes an overview of the M77 rifle and several other good articles with a historic slant (7mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 50 years of single shots, etc.).

Rifle is one of my favorite magazines, but this one is particularly good. Given the heavy slant toward Rugers I thought I should mention it here.

Thanks,

SR

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It's an uncharacteristically good issue. I very rarely buy it anymore because it's usually no better than the other gun rags on the grocery store newsstand. I used to subscribe for many years ( and to Handloader), but it drifted too far into mediocrity.

The best thing about the reprinted first issue in the current magazine is the picture showing the vertically split rings on the "new" Model 77. Now those ARE scarce as hen's teeth!

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Got it yesterday and was surprised to see an image of an RS with the super rare front sight hood. Also notice ser. no. 20 that was the test rifle did not have the bolt guide and the forward part of the bolt was unpolished. VERY few made without the bolt guide.