Jammed slide - Ruger P95 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmartin

Bearcat
Ruger P95PR Decock (approx 600 rds through):

I seemed to have jammed my slide while reassembling and it won't come off.

After cleaning, I was sliding the slide back on, and when it locked in to place, something was immediately wrong. The barrel and camblock did not stay inside the slide and are protruding about 2 inches. The slide will move less than halfway back, and I think the magazine ejector is causing the problem. I thought I made certain it was in the 'down' position before reattaching the slide, but it may have went up. Bottom line, I cannot remove the slide, nor can I use the gun.

To be honest, this is my first handgun and I'm no means an expert. Is there some way to get this off or should I call Ruger (I bought it brand new in December)?

Big AL

Bearcat
I have had the same problem with my new P95 (purchased May 3, 2008). You are correct, during re-assembly the ejector has flipped back up and is now preventing the slide assembly from moving all the way to the back of the grip.

Somehow you have to get the ejector pulled back down into the magazine well (i.e. grip). If you can reach up in there with something that will be able to grasp a portion of the ejector, you might be able to pull it back down. Once the ejector is back down, you should be clear to remove and re-attempt the process of assembly.

I have owned a P89 for over a year and half and I never had this problem with it.

jmartin

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. When this happened to you, did it cause permanent damage to the gun?

Big AL

Bearcat
No. However, I am not sure that I had two inches of the recoil spring guide rod sticking out of the front of the pistol, either.

After you get everything back apart, do a quick visual inspection to make sure nothing is bent. The ejector is made out of steel, so you should be OK.

Also, when you go to re-assemble, take very deliberate caution not to let the ejector flip up as the slide moves rearward.

Let me know how things turn out.

450 fan

Bearcat
done exactly the same thing, the best way to get that ejector rod to pull down is to stick a small piece of steel with a hook on it up through the magazine guide. hook onto that ejector and pull it down. This should cause no damage to your gun. Good luck.

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
The standard fix to this is to make a hook out of an old coat hanger to reach up through the mag well and pull the ejector back down. DO NOT force the slide or you will damage the frame beyond repair. I have also heard a crochet hook or the bent end of a scriber will work. If the slide still doesn't want to come off, put a loop around the tip of the ejector and hold it down while lightly tapping the rear of the slide with a plastic mallet. Just remember to keep the ejector down at all times while attempting to disassemble. They do have a tendency to pop up unnoticed and you WILL destroy your gun if you force the slide with the ejector up.

As for the protruding camblock, That could be a result of either it not being properly positioned before you attempted reassembly, it may have slipped out of place during reassembly or you may have put it in upside down. That was quite common also. If that is the case, even with the ejector down, it may require a little tapping to get the slide off.

Keep us posted.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
jmartin;
I had the exact same problem. The advice you've been given should prove results. I hooked the ejector, pulled it down, and the slide came right off. Last time I make that mistake.
No damage and still fires flawlessly!
Good luck!

jmartin

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the tips. I am going to try the coathanger when I get home from work today. I'll report back.

Hope you get this resolved. I had to fix a friend's P97 with the ole coat hanger trick. Damn Ejector kept popping back up. I was finally able to bend a piece of it enough so that it wouldn't pop back up anymore. It also made the ejector harder to swing up and down. Probably a good thing. Cool, let us know how it goes. :D

wproct

Single-Sixer
We all do some very silly things. One time believe it or not I managed to put the slide back on my P95 with the recoil spring assembly completely upside down. I can't remember exactly what I did to get it removed again, but eventually I did. I remember that I followed a procedure suggested in one of the threads on this forum and it worked. I just know that I will never pull that stunt again!

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
wproct":11o63vh8 said:
We all do some very silly things. One time believe it or not I managed to put the slide back on my P95 with the recoil spring assembly completely upside down. I can't remember exactly what I did to get it removed again, but eventually I did. I remember that I followed a procedure suggested in one of the threads on this forum and it worked. I just know that I will never pull that stunt again!
What you did isn't all that uncommon. I saw quite a few during my Ruger days. The procedure is the same, using the hook, but you often have to tap the back of the slide with a plastic mallet to get it off. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one. :wink:

bloodhound597

Bearcat
making a hook with the hanger worked great for me. Just make sure that you hook the part of the ejector that not already flush against the bottom of the slide. Secondly, (and this is kind of stupid, but learn from other's experiences) make sure the hanger you are using doesn't have paint on it that can flake off, cuz it will stick to the oil in your gun. :?

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
Because my ejector doesn't want to stay down when I remove my slide I use a rubber band to pull and hold it down. Helps keep me from screwing yp... :lol:
BTW...A spring hook or crochet hook is great for pulling the ejector back down.

rdebose

Bearcat
I bought a P95 yesterday, and did the same thing last nite. I Googled the problem and found this forum. Coat hanger worked like a charm, gun re-assembled and ready to roll.

Thanks for the help, folks!

boatme99

Bearcat
450 fan said:
done exactly the same thing, the best way to get that ejector rod to pull down is to stick a small piece of steel with a hook on it up through the magazine guide. hook onto that ejector and pull it down. This should cause no damage to your gun. Good luck.

Yep. This is why it pays to have an inexpensive set of tool picks. Perfect for this.

A

Anonymous

Always have a dental pick with a good bend on the end, handy in your tool box............................ :mrgreen:

*don't ask how I know!
:oops:

I've done this twice and the second time, besides having to pull the ejector down with the coat hanger I had to knock the hell out of the back of the slide to get it to release... sometimes the guide rod gets slightly twisted too.

gunman42782

Hunter
Have seen lots of folks do this since I started working at the range. They are all very happy when I show them how to fix it. Almost every P series gun I have owned the ejector will pop back up when you take the slide off. Always got to immediately push it back down so you don't forget.

barrycarraway

Bearcat
You guys are lifesavers. I forgot to pull down the ejector flap on my P97 DC during disassembly and slide locked up. I looked up the solution here and gun is fixed. I used a big paperclip bent a hook on the end ran it up the magazine well hooked on the ejector wiggled the slide a little and pulled down on ejector. That did the trick. 5 minute fix. Thanks everybody!
Casy

Latest posts