Jack Huntington enhanced stainless NMFT 45...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Here's my Stainless Ruger FlatTop .45 Convertible I picked up from Jack Huntington a couple weeks ago. I asked him to make a few minor modifications and two BIG modifications...

First, a pic of the gun and it's companion blade (a stainless Cold Steel Trailmaster sharpened by NorCalBlacktail)...

I carried this revolver last Deer/Bear season and one of the minor irritations I had on the trip was the sharp points on the rear sight dug into my "survival muscle" while lounging around in camp, so I asked Jack if he could knock off the points on the corners of the sight. He went above and beyond and beveled all the rear edges of the sight blade housing and as luck would have it...it's a steel part, so it could be easily re-blued!

I also wanted to keep the black plastic factory grips that Ruger sent back with the gun after some warranty repairs, but the stainless frame was very proud. Jack shaved the frame to match the factory grips and now it feels GREAT! I also dinged up the barrel below the front sight base when I installed a custom front sight blade, so Jack cleaned those little marks right up. One of my other minor complaints was the way the SBH hammers come with one edge rounded and the other edge sharp on the inside portion of the hammer below the safety block, so Jack rounded the other edge to match...

Another minor issue I had with the gun was that the frame pins were too long on the left side of the frame, so Jack shortened those up for me. That brings us to the first BIG change... I saw how someone had removed the key lock safety from one of their NMBH's on the Ruger Forum and printed the picture so I could see if Jack could make the same modification. Not only was Jack able to make the mod, I think he may have had a bunch of these stirrups made for future "upgrade projects"...

As a funny side note... on another visit to pick up some other work prior to this revolver being finished, I walked into the shop and Jack threw the lock at me and said "Get this *&$#@ thing out of my shop!" What a great way to say "Howdy"! ;D

Finally...Ruger decided to put some strange beveling on the front of their cylinders on these FlatTops and although it may be functional for re-holstering...it's not that attractive. I asked if Jack could figure out a way to make the bevel look a little more like traditional BP Chamfering. He wasn't sure he could do it, but I gave him the green light to experiment on my cylinder and if he wrecked it, so be it...I'd send it to Ruger for a replacement and cover the cost of a new one. He and Jason worked out a way to get the BP look on my cylinder, but it was such a pain, he won't be doing it again. I appreciate the extra effort guys!

So...with the addition of a BM Base Pin... the revolver has turned into one of my favorite single actions of all time! THANKS Jack and Jason (and anyone else in the shop who may have helped with this project)

Stump

Rclark

Hunter
Looks good for a stainless! I too filed on the corners of the sights on a couple of mine. A little cold blue touched it right up as you found out. Replacement internal lock platform looks simple enough. Might have to try that myself!

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
You win! That is the best looking knife/gun combo I've come across all day, in my surfing the webs. Very well done, and you picked some excellent minor mods. I'm jealous.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Very nice Stump Buster. It just goes to show ya, a whole lotta money doesn't need to be spent to personalize and improve one's Ruger SA.
Another thing I do and it's the 1st thing, is to remove that ugly web behind the trigger.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I like the Belt Mtn short Colt style 'collared' cyl pin on a Sheriff's Model and trigger web removed.
orig.jpg

trouble

Single-Sixer
That's very nice and a sweet blade as well, have one just like it!

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Stump Buster said:
One of my other minor complaints was the way the SBH hammers come with one edge rounded and the other edge sharp on the inside portion of the hammer below the safety block, so Jack rounded the other edge to match...
That has always been a big pet peeve of mine with Ruger's hammers.

Looks like Jack did an outstanding job! Very nice!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You are the only two guys besides myself that have ever expressed a complaint with the hammer edge. The OM hammers weren't like that yet they were also cast.

It appears to be radiused on one side as a casting expedient so the mould fills easier. But i too have always chamfered the left edge as a matter of practice when I first tune the gun.

It's amazing to see $3 & $4 K custom guns and the hammer was never touched, or the trigger web.

Enigma

Hunter
Sweet looking gun! I agree - it doesn't require a tremendous amount of money to make a refined handgun. Personally, I wish someone would manufacture and sell the 'stirrup' required to eliminate the new-and-improved-safety-model Ruger mainspring assembly. I'd be in for one for each of my lock-equipped revolvers.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Enicma,

I mill these and sell them for $10 each but I'm all out right now. How many would you need? It's time to make another batch.
Ruger now makes the same XR3 and XR3-RED size grip frames w/o the lock now also, since the lock was discontinued in 2012.

orig.jpg