IWB holsters while driving

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I never drive with my sp101 holstered. I put on a holster, then use a sticky holster for inside the car. Car jackings occur, I know not frequently, yet I don't want my weapon to be pinned to my side by a waistband, or seat belt.

Cup holder between the front seats in my Cherokee is usually where I put mine.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I have been carrying IWB for 30+ years and some days I still need to check to see if I have it with me, even while driving. Even if I'm carrying a 1911.

A proper holster and belt solves a lot of problems.

StevethePirate

Bearcat
As an alternate to IWB, I gave ankle carry a try on a recent road trip to Indiana (about a 10 hour drive for me). Paired with a sufficiently light fun, it made for a very comfortable way to carry while still being accessible. To me, it was easier than trying to wrestle with my seat belt, especially if the gun was also covered by a shirt and jacket. A simple lean forward along with pulling up my pants leg gave quick and easy access. Of course, with a larger gun, this may not be a valid option.

Another option that Darryl Bolke recently wrote about online was a shoulder rig for extended times in the driver's seat.

If IWB works for you, then that's a great option, especially if you're in and out of your car.