Iver Johnson . U.S. Revolver .32 S&W Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Was offered the above at a pretty low price. It's around 1920 production in good shape. Very light little break top wheel gun. Two problems: 1) .32 cal S&W short ammo isn't exactly plentiful, and 2) just in general, Iver Johnson ( who owned it's U.S. Revolver subsidiary) is not known for making great product under it's own name. This particular gun looks pretty good though. Any thoughts and expertise you might share would be greatly appreciated.

By “pretty low price” are you talking about $50? That might get my attention.

My experience : the only commercial break top pocket revolvers worth fooling around with are the S&W “Lemon Squeezers”, and they’re barely worth fooling around with. JMHO.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I had an old Iver Johnson "Safety Automatic" 32 S&W, the same model that was used to assassinate President McKinley. It is one of the first revolvers to feature a transfer bar, and actually a good little shooter. However, it's really only practical for a handloader, as it is nearly impossible to get factory ammo these days.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I had one when I was about 17 or 18. Could not get .32S&W ammo so I used .32acp, those having a slight rim.
Probably not very smart looking back.

nrobe50

Buckeye
They were pretty much junk the day they were built and didn't improve with age. I have a couple of them but would not shoot them.

I have one of those IJ revolvers in very high condition
I handload for it

It gets used here, I'm on a ranch and it gets out on trail patrol from time to time

Not really a terrible little wheelgun, but nothing like the quality of a modern Ruger

Latest posts