I've taken a hit, credit card wise........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Hunter
I get a kick out of them telling you a fraud investigation has been started. As a cop they would never deal with me on fraud because they don't want any record of how much fraud there is. Very seldom is anyone prosecuted even when they find out who did it. My friend the bank prez told me they "manage" fraud at an acceptible percentage by charging it to all of us in higher fees!

wxl1

Bearcat
Been happy with the vigilance from BOA on my Visa. Have notified me several times on suspicious charges most of times legit. Some were not. Also replace cards 4 or5 times when they thought a vendor may have been compromised.

Why aren't the banks and cc companies doing more to more secure? I hate to admit it but never had these problems before computers. And cell phones.

Unfortunately, I think the banks and CC companies have always found it easier to do nothing - and therefore actually encourage credit card fraud. Around 20 years ago, my employer decided to transfer me to another State, and agreed to cover my relocation expenses. As a part of that, they hired 2 people to come to my home and pack my stuff for moving. I locked up my firearms & other valuables, but forgot about a Home Depot credit card that I had never used, sitting in a desk drawer. Six weeks after the move, I got a $5000 bill from Home Depot (apparently SOMEBODY bought enough equipment to set up their own yard care business). On the plus side, I was not responsible for the fraudulent charges. On the minus side, the credit card folks did nothing about the thief, EVEN THOUGH WE PROVIDED THE NAMES OF BOTH 'PACKERS'. A reasonably intelligent high school student could have figured out which one basically stole $5000 worth of merchandise, but nobody did anything - it's just easier for them to ignore the criminals, and pass the costs on to the customers.

bobski

Hunter
had a sub sandwich at a franchise subway gas station once. by the time i got home, the clerk used it gas up their car with the card number at the pumps.
i called police. clerk was arrested, and i got a new card with charge dropped.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
I have two credit cards. One through Bank of America and one through my Federal Credit Union. Both the cards have phone numbers on them. NEVER reply to any number given in an email and never open any links. In my case, if there appears to be a problem with the CU cards they call me and ask if I have made any purchases in (wherever). I am the only person using either of the cards so I know right away if the charges are correct.

Ride1949

Single-Sixer
I get an email from my bank (debit card) and a notification (credit card) for any activity on either card.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I didn't respond right away because the number given was unfamiliar to me. I suspected a Spam call. I have heard of folks being billed huge amounts of money just by responding to a phone number. And Monday was a bank holiday so had to wait until Tuesday to talk to a real person face-to-face.

Bob Wright
Don't reply to a number supplied by a questionable phone call/ email/ etc . Imeadately contact the Known number of your bank/ credit card company .

This will be printed on your card , included in all your billing and other correspondence , and on their legit website .

vito

Hunter
The few times my credit cards were compromised I was able to get the charges dropped without any problem. I use two different cards for about 95% of what I spend, getting anywhere from 1.5 to 4% back depending on what I am buying. I haven’t paid a fee or interest on a credit card in decades. The system works pretty well for me.

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
Any time I make a large purchase online say a $1000 or more I get a text asking me to verify the purchase, even if it is something I normally buy. I have been taken a few times but never had any trouble with the bank getting it back to me, had to get a new card and all that but they always fixed it.

Captain America

Buckeye
I pay for everything with Apple Pay, it's tied to me and my wife...I get a notification instantly for every transaction.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Unfortunately, I think the banks and CC companies have always found it easier to do nothing - and therefore actually encourage credit card fraud. Around 20 years ago, my employer decided to transfer me to another State, and agreed to cover my relocation expenses. As a part of that, they hired 2 people to come to my home and pack my stuff for moving. I locked up my firearms & other valuables, but forgot about a Home Depot credit card that I had never used, sitting in a desk drawer. Six weeks after the move, I got a $5000 bill from Home Depot (apparently SOMEBODY bought enough equipment to set up their own yard care business). On the plus side, I was not responsible for the fraudulent charges. On the minus side, the credit card folks did nothing about the thief, EVEN THOUGH WE PROVIDED THE NAMES OF BOTH 'PACKERS'. A reasonably intelligent high school student could have figured out which one basically stole $5000 worth of merchandise, but nobody did anything - it's just easier for them to ignore the criminals, and pass the costs on to the customers.
There's knowing who probably did it and there's proving it, and they're two completely separate things. I see no way they could prove anything.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I've frequently had the opposite problem ... Getting my card shut off out of overabundance of caution , when it's really me , and then having hassles to turn it back on .

There's knowing who probably did it and there's proving it, and they're two completely separate things. I see no way they could prove anything.

My thought was, somebody could at least check to see if one of the two packers also had a new yard care business, with $5000 worth of equipment matching the items on the Home Depot receipt. And FWIW, establishing something sufficiently to get a dishonest moving company employee fired, might be easier than proving something beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal court.

jimbo1096

Buckeye
Your post made me go pull up my CC accounts and I found one for $14.99 to a company called Shein. Never heard of them so I guess I'll be filing for a fraud case for that one.

cwo4uscgret

Bearcat
When the following happened I was a Federal Law Enforcement Officer…

Someone hacked into one of my credit cards; running up a whopping total of around $230.00 for three different items including something that the thief had to provide a mailing address. I had researchEd the three purchases and notified my bank what had happened. They were only too glad to credit my account for the fraudulent purchases and issue me a new card.

Next stop - call the local police. Was connected to a detective Sargent who had been my neighbor before his wife through him out for cheating on her…when I told him the dollar amount of the theft he said they wouldn’t take any action; wouldn’t even take a report. Yes he was a dick.

Next phone call was the non-emergency Phone number of the large Police Department just west of the Mississippi River. The dispatcher didn’t even want to take my call without a police report. I was insistent; said let me talk to someone in the detective bureau.

When a Detective Sargent came on the line he said without a police report he couldn’t do much; also the dollar amount was below their threshold for investigating the crime. When I told him that I had a physical address in his jurisdiction I still had to explain it to him. I said sure the dollar amount was small change but imagine if that address was used for more then the cost of a computer game; what if they received 5-10 parcels a day!

I think the lightbulb in his head turned on; so he took my information and said he would pass it to the fraud unit.

Nothing like doing other people’s work for them only to basically get the great blow-off!

mikeAZ

Bearcat
I had 2 very similar situations, both with mailing addresses. ( unoccupied, drop house? ).NOW I get instant notifications when ever the CC is used for anything. I

langenc

Single-Sixer
If Imdecide to take a trip a couple states away, I call the CC and tell em ahead of time then they arent worried that it aint us.