I've just gotta crow!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gmaske

Bearcat
I've got all the goodies I wanted to add to my new Lee Classic Turret press now and I've gotta say it is the easiest most convenient press I've had the pleasure to run. It just don't get no better!! All I've got to fool with when I change to a diffrent caliber is powder and bullet seating if I use a diffrent bullet from the last run. Pop out one turret and slip in a diffrent one and off you go. Pistol to rifle to pistol again, it makes no diffrence. It's that quick and using Lee's factory crimp die makes beautiful ammo every time. This has got to be the best do it all press going period!

contender

Ruger Guru
Congrats on your Lee working good for you. However, I must defend Dillon here. They have by far some of the best running machines ever built!

contender":3dg02z9d said:
Congrats on your Lee working good for you. However, I must defend Dillon here. They have by far some of the best running machines ever built!

Yep can't beat a 650 or the no BS warranty. Call them tell them what broke and they will send a new part no questions asked and they pay shipping,

Try that with anybody else.

Oh yea I have a Lee also
CIMG3521-1.jpg

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The difference is (despite the great warranty) is that you can buy 4 entire Lee press kits for the price of one 650.

They (Lee and Dillon) are both at the top of their game for completly different reasons.

I_Like_Pie":2fwzvq9f said:
The difference is (despite the great warranty) is that you can buy 4 entire Lee press kits for the price of one 650.

They (Lee and Dillon) are both at the top of their game for completly different reasons.
I here ya and you are 100% correct, but when a part breaks and they all do. Most of the time when you need to load a bunch. How long does it take to send the Lee part back to wherever to get the new free part.
With Dillon it take me about 3 days for a new part.
How much is that worth PRICELESS :D :D
One stock 650 about $525 with all the bells and stuff $650
Jim

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie":28y6ietx said:

Very well said !! and I've never broke anything on my Lee Classic Turret
so I don't know about replacement time.

Glad your enjoying your new Lee Turret press.. I love mine

FrontSite

gmaske

Bearcat
I can't believe the quality for the price on the Lee Classic. Your Dillon is a bit more complicated from it's looks. I don't have the room for that there contraption either. The Classic is perfect for the guy who loads a little of this and a little of that and doesn't need the high output or complexity of a progressive. It is quick enough that I can put out enough of what ever I need for an afternoons shoot in an evening. The simplicity of caliber conversion and not having to make a bunch of adjustments because of the changable turret is what made the Classic so attractive to me. There ain't a lot that could go wrong other than the auto indexing system and you can run it without that feature if needed. It fits my needs perfectly. It will auto measure and drop powder or I can weigh each charge with equal easy. The thing is profoundly over built and they claim it can handle 50 Cal BMG. I could go on and on but it just comes down to the fact that it hit my sweet spot and it does what I need it to do fairly quickly.

gmaske":2s3b4lb0 said:
I can't believe the quality for the price on the Lee Classic. Your Dillon is a bit more complicated from it's looks. I don't have the room for that there contraption either. The Classic is perfect for the guy who loads a little of this and a little of that and doesn't need the high output or complexity of a progressive. It is quick enough that I can put out enough of what ever I need for an afternoons shoot in an evening. The simplicity of caliber conversion and not having to make a bunch of adjustments because of the changable turret is what made the Classic so attractive to me. There ain't a lot that could go wrong other than the auto indexing system and you can run it without that feature if needed. It fits my needs perfectly. It will auto measure and drop powder or I can weigh each charge with equal easy. The thing is profoundly over built and they claim it can handle 50 Cal BMG. I could go on and on but it just comes down to the fact that it hit my sweet spot and it does what I need it to do fairly quickly.

Please don't take me wrong on this post. Like I said I have a Lee that I load 45 Colt on. The Lee is the best bang for the buck.
I also use their dies
It is just when I want to load 2000-3000 in a night I use the 650

gmaske

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":1kv28umh said:
Please don't take me wrong on this post. Like I said I have a Lee that I load 45 Colt on. The Lee is the best bang for the buck.
I also use their dies
It is just when I want to load 2000-3000 in a night I use the 650

If I were to load that many in one sitting it wouldn't be on a Lee Classic! :shock:
There is a place for a progressive and that it is very good example. I thought long and hard about dumping my Pro 1000 but in the end I knew I just didn't need the output. If I were in a shooting sport that required lots of the same ammo week in and week out there would be a progressive on my bench for sure!

Rex Driver

Bearcat
gmaske":13t6wpke said:
I've got all the goodies I wanted to add to my new Lee Classic Turret press now and I've gotta say it is the easiest most convenient press I've had the pleasure to run. It just don't get no better!! All I've got to fool with when I change to a diffrent caliber is powder and bullet seating if I use a diffrent bullet from the last run. Pop out one turret and slip in a diffrent one and off you go. Pistol to rifle to pistol again, it makes no diffrence. It's that quick and using Lee's factory crimp die makes beautiful ammo every time. This has got to be the best do it all press going period!

Sir, I will second you on your thoughts about Lee. I am so old skool that I still have two Lee three hole Turret presses, both very old and both still working. I started out on one of the presses that I purchased from an old gentelman now in his late 80s and have not missed a beat with it. My second, I purchased as a backup and have not needed it in over 15 years. I used this press to reload ammo for CAS and between my son and I we shoot about 1,000 rounds of 38spl a month at shoots and perhaps another 500 for practice.

I have never and will never say anything bad about Dillon as I have many friends who swear by Dillon and bleed blue, however, my red lee and my red MEC Sizemaster have kept over 20 guns well fed and happy for many years.

I did build a sort of home made wooden strong mount for my lee that raised the machine far enough up as to place a plastic drawer (from a parts cabinet) under it for spent primers. I did the same thing for the MEC and that helped with the used primer problem.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Long live the Lee Classic Turret!!!!

I was a confirmed single stager for 33 years and then I bought a LCT ....

Neither press are going anywhere.

If I had the bucks ..... I'd invest in Dillon equipment as well.

But for the money and speed of change up ........ (change up with a Dillon can be fun IM TOLD)

......... it's the LCT all the way!

Three 44s

contender

Ruger Guru
I hope no one thought I was picking on Lee stuff. I just think that Dillon is the BEST you can get. Their warranty service (if needed,) is second to none.
I'm a bit different in things as I look at the fact I'm going to be doing something that COULD be dangerous, so I prefer to have the best equipment. I have 2 RCBS single-stage presses, and 3 Dillons. I have a 650, and a pair of Square Deal B's. Due to swapping around of the priming systems,, I prefer to keep my conversions to this; For large primered calibers,, I use the 650, and for small primed ammo, I use the SDB. Now, I happen to have most of my major calibers covered in these 2 machines. AND due to PATIENCE, and careful shopping,,(helped by a little luck,) I have gotten my 2 SDB's for practically nothing. One was in parts in a box, and it was a gift. (If you think you can fix it, you can have it sorts thing.) When the smoke cleared, after buying the missing parts, and selling the 45 ACP stuff I didn't need, I actually made about $5. The second one was a pawn shop purchase where I bought a whole box of stuff for a LOW price.
I'm sure the lee will be just fine,, but I just prefer the Dillon & RCBS stuff mostly!
Since you are happy,, who cares? Right??

Sturgell

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":apq5v1m1 said:
Yep can't beat a 650 or the no BS warranty. Call them tell them what broke and they will send a new part no questions asked and they pay shipping,

Try that with anybody else.

Every reloading company I have ever dealt with besides Lee has that warranty :? . Especially RCBS, they replace broken parts no charge plus if it is a smaller part they send a sack full of extras.