It's time to begin rifle practice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I still haven't addressed my bum shoulder but I'm getting feverish and irritable regarding my shooting practice. I tried the 6.5 C with a few shots but don't think that's in the cards at the moment. Then I remembered I have a HOWA .223 HB that I'd bought for a prairie dog hunt that got cancelled. Got it out, cleaned the cobwebs out of the bore, swapped the 6-18x scope for a 3-9x, and zeroed in 3 shots. Three more to confirm zero gives me confidence that any missing @ 300 meters will be due to faulty equipment.
GEEZ, it's like shooting a rimfire(as long as you don't have to carry it far). The 'new neighbors' are going to get a morning wake up call 4-5 times a week from now until November. Not my fault they located their new house 100 yards from my long range firing point.:giggle::giggle:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Been gettin itchy myself. Like the Trap on Sundays but anxious to see how hose Remington Bronze points with 150 grains I was gifted will print with my 700. Gonna bring my favoite Ruger American 22 magnum and see how close those Hornady Critical Defense 45 grainers will print compared to the CCI fodder. One handy varmint rig with short barrel and Vortex scope. Best of luck with yours.

I feel like it's cheating to use the heavy barrel that seriously dampens wiggle. I'm justifying it as a recoil reduction. Truthfully, I don't remember ever shooting this rifle but the scope was too close to zero to be coincidence. It does shoot pretty darned good even with generic handloads.
UPDATE(first session w/HB 223)--YES, it's too easy. At this point, the only variable is the wind. Target is too big but if I touch up the paint every couple days, I can measure the groups. I have a smaller gong and maybe can get it placed later today.
I got 6" & 9" round gongs hung today. That should be challenging enough. Rifle is capable so we'll see if I'm up to it.

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
The first AR I bought about 1990 was a Colt HBAR A2. The HBAR's were used by Military shooting teams and known for their superior accuracy over the regular GI barrels. With the 1:7 twist it also stabilizes the heavier projectiles much better. I still have it and it sure is heavy for the platform but I still like to drag it out occasionally. Just curious to what twist barrel and weight bullets you using?

I have a Colt HBAR with the slow (1-12) twist. It's pretty good with 55 grain bullets but worthless with 69.
I'll have to admit my current practice shooting is done with a bolt action HOWA .223 HB using 55 grain bullets @ about 3000-3100 fps from the 24' barrel. This rifle has virtually zero recoil as a consolation to my seriously injured shoulder but honestly, it's just super gratifying to shoot.
This morning the air was quite damp and I think I could see the blur of air disturbance as the bullet zipped across the field. The spotters used to see those often in hot humid locations.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I know what you mean. I have an A-Bolt II in 7mm REM Mag and that hardly getting out anymore nor does my 870 slug gun, arthritis has taken its toll. But older guys like us adapt and soldier on.
If you think you saw the contrail you no doubt did.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have Remington 700 Police rifles in .308 & .223. They area matched pair except for caliber. Both were tuned by "Badger" with blue printed actions and full bottom metal that takes ACIS mags etc, HS Precision stocks, Atlas QD rear Monopod, Large bolt knob, Timney trigger, etc, with full Leupold MK 4 rings ,mounts and Mk4 5x25 Scope, with matching reticle Mk 4 Spotting Scope and Gemtech QD flash hider and suppressor mount for my Gemtech QD HVT Sandman. They shoot better than i can now! They are great for shooting from a static, fixed position, like an "overwatch". However, they are no lightweights! As a result, I tend to use my CZ 527 carbine in .223. Short, light, easy to maneuver with all the accuracy I can use!

Three for three this morning with a fair crosswind. I'll admit to a slight 'cheat' because my first shot was at the 8" gong just in case my hold-off wasn't quite right.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have a Colt HBAR with the slow (1-12) twist. It's pretty good with 55 grain bullets but worthless with 69.
I'll have to admit my current practice shooting is done with a bolt action HOWA .223 HB using 55 grain bullets @ about 3000-3100 fps from the 24' barrel. This rifle has virtually zero recoil as a consolation to my seriously injured shoulder but honestly, it's just super gratifying to shoot.
This morning the air was quite damp and I think I could see the blur of air disturbance as the bullet zipped across the field. The spotters used to see those often in hot humid locations.
If the Hbar 223 keeps you in the game, that is what matters most. keep on shooting and take care of that shoulder.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I have cervical spine issues. And have to be careful. I load a lot of my rifle ammo with cast data. It helps keep me on the range. Now and then i'll crank it up.

I can assure you the 9# .223 has virtually zero felt recoil. The scope doesn't move off the aiming point when fired and on one occasion I saw the ripple of the bullet moving through the warm humid air to the target. That's pretty cool--like watching the sub-sonic 300 AAC bullets arcing onto the 100 yard targets. Takes me back to long ago and far away when using tracers to 'mark' targets for the M-60 gunner.

Latest posts