It's in! Boddington 7X57 Leopard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gcf

Bearcat
OIF2":16wvmr6z said:
...Been thinking of a scope upgrade...maybe a Zeiss 4X. I don't want anymore power (or size) than that. What do you guys think?
Bob

Got a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 (medium height Ruger rings), on my No.1-A 7x57. Makes for a great, well balanced combo.

Also have a set of Ruger medium offset rings, but really have not had the need to mount them.

A

Anonymous

gcf":3urpe1xc said:
Jackie Treehorn":3urpe1xc said:
And the sights and the finish.

...and the rings.
No, the rings are the same as any other matte-finished Ruger factory rings. The original poster added the Warne units.

OIF2

Single-Sixer
The Warne medium QD matte rings come with the rifle-a nice upgrade. All Boddingtons come with the Warne QD rings, I believe.
Bob

A

Anonymous

OIF2":255m53i4 said:
The Warne medium QD matte rings come with the rifle-a nice upgrade. All Boddingtons come with the Warne QD rings, I believe.
Bob
I see.

gcf

Bearcat
OIF2":1fny94l0 said:
Bob

Here is a shot of the rings (as supplied) on a friend's "CB Lion" No.1-S / .375 Ruger

Kevin375003.jpg

gcf

Bearcat
gatorhugger":1dmtzido said:
Jeez what a nice gun. Very few gun pics get me excited.
Oh I wish I was rich man.

Well Sir, THAT is a mouth full!

Great (& under rated) little cartridge, too. Not the proverbial "do all" caliber, but for the hand loader, very close.

I don't think you really have to be "rich" to partake in the Ruger No.1 experience. If you can live w/ out the special CB edition rifle - & are patient, it is possible to lay hands on a No.1-A in 7x57 - for a little less money. The older red pad guns show up on line occasionally - usually in the $600 - $800 range.

Earlier in the year, I found a dealer in W. VA, that was able to locate a new production, non - Boddington rifle for me. My cost - w/ shipping & local dealer transfer was just under $900. Select wood, & definitely 1/2 MOA capable - w/ hand loaded 140 Noslers.

Understand the money thing though. I actually looked for a couple of years, & saw quite a few come up available - when I was essentially tapped out. Coming up w/ the cash for my current rifle was a real stretch for me - current economy & all, and to be honest, I really don't even know if I'll be able to hang on to it another 6 months, let alone to enjoy in my old age.

I think us "po' boys" need to be able to enjoy the hunt, as much as the kill. Like the man said, "better to have loved & lost - then to have never loved at all". ;=]

It's a quest - ENJOY IT!

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Here's another photo of my new Leopard, with a Leupold 1.5-5X mounted on it. The Lyman was nice, but this is a far superior scope. It still is small enough that it doesn't overwhelm the rifle, yet is a quantum jump in capability that compliments the 7X57 cartridge. First range test, with Hornady 139 gr. BTSPs was pretty good- 1.5" 5 shot groups, now centered 2" high at 100 yards. I'm happy (I just wish I could keep Chester off the red background- paw prints will need to be photoshopped).
Bob

DSC_0459.jpg

gcf

Bearcat
OIF2":3syjm2ge said:
The Lyman was nice, but this is a far superior scope. It still is small enough that it doesn't overwhelm the rifle, yet is a quantum jump in capability that compliments the 7X57 cartridge.

First range test, with Hornady 139 gr. BTSPs was pretty good- 1.5" 5 shot groups, now centered 2" high at 100 yards.
Bob

Thumbs up on the Leupold!

I am curious as to whether the Hornady's were factory, or hand loaded? I would be willing to bet lunch, that you could trim an inch off those groups, w/ a good hand load.

To date, I've had the best luck w/ Nosler 140 B-Tips, Hornady 154 SP's, & Sierra 140 SP's (Pro-Hunters).

The 139 BTSP loads tried, came in last place. The remaining bullets from the box, were relegated to fire forming loads...

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Factory- I don't reload (!). I'm going to try the 140 Feds with the Nosler Partition next.
Bob

gcf

Bearcat
OIF2":1uuzmq24 said:
...I'm going to try the 140 Feds with the Nosler Partition next.
Bob

Bob -
I'd be real interested in hearing how the factory Partition loads perform in your rifle.

The Nosler Partition is a bullet that has come highly recommended for this caliber, but due primarily to the component cost ($$), one that I have not tried - as of yet.

If I remember correctly, Federal also loads 7x57, w/ the Sierra 140SP ProHunter. Ruger service department uses it for range testing, & told me that my rifle shot 3/4" w/ it.

The same bullet hand loaded (46.0 - H414), turned in a 3 shot, 1/2" group for me, this past weekend. I doubt that if chronographed it would prove to be a "red line screamer", but it's accurate & inexpensive. Probably make a great load for whitetails - and extensive offhand shooting position practice... ;-]

Gary

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
As I noted on page 1, I have 2 extra 7x57 Leopards; #15 has a piece of Circassian just nearly as good as OIF2's. Nearly looks like it was cut out of the tree beside the other one. It is the 2nd best Boddington I have had out of about 20! It is $1250 shipped to your FFL; PM me if you are serious and want a picture. Just a note, e-mailing pictures is really hard for me when my boys are not here!!