Italian Olive Bisley Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
This set of gunfighter style grips will be heading back to Hamilton Bowen's shop on Monday where he is working his magic on the rest of the gun. I'm anxious to see pics of the finished project.

I like working on Mr. Bowens Bisley grip frames because he decks them. Bisley frames are notorious for having a high spot on the inner frame up where the medallions are. It sure makes it easy after he does his thing. But then we all know the man is meticulous in his work.

F-coleBis1.jpg

F-coleBis2.jpg

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I like them. I haven't been able to ind any olive wood around here. i think it just has to do withthe part of the ountry you live in. Steve

caryc

Hawkeye
woodpile":1ia7xnmx said:
I like them. I haven't been able to ind any olive wood around here. i think it just has to do withthe part of the ountry you live in. Steve

The wood for those grips actually came from Bethlehem.

pete44ru

Hunter
That sure is an interesting combination of woodgrain/color, Cary - almost spalted.
Very nice !

Are they stabilized, and are the pic colors true, or does the olivewood have a tint to it, in person - like a slight green or other tint ?

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Cary, those are really neat! The grain pattern is outstanding! Absolutely beautiful!

caryc

Hawkeye
pete44ru":rl92w922 said:
That sure is an interesting combination of woodgrain/color, Cary - almost spalted.
Very nice !

Are they stabilized, and are the pic colors true, or does the olivewood have a tint to it, in person - like a slight green or other tint ?

They are not stabilized. I didn't really notice it until I held one of the grips up to the screen. I did some editing and on the pic below, the one on the left is the truer color. Of course I don't know how it will look on your monitor but on mine it is very close to how they look in person They are more of a golden color. Olive wood has those dark streaks and lines naturally running through it without spalting in it.

F-colebis9.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter
I can see the difference - I really like that honey color with the contrasting grain. Simply beautiful - and beautiful work too !

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As a matter of interest, I've seen many Bibles with the covers done in Italian olive wood, the wood coming from Bethlehem.

Implying nothing, but many of these were made by inmates in the prison's hobby shops.

And, as a mater of interest, how does Italian olive compare with Russian olive? Russian olive is very plentiful in the western U.S.

Bob Wright