Issues with an SP101 in 327 ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I took my Blackhawk and the SP101 back to the range today. It was windy, but, I think there might be something wrong with the SP101. I was sitting, and using sandbags for each shot. I wanted to compare the SP101 to the Blackhawk at 25 yards. I've had accuracy issues with the SP101 in the past and wanted to see if it's my reloads or the gun.

I had factory ammunition 85 grains, and some reloaded ammunition, one was HS-6 and the other was H110. In my blackhawk, the HS-6 reloads were very comparable to the factory ammo for accuracy. The H110 was very close, but just not quite as tight of groups as the HS-6. In short, the Blackhawk is an amazingly accurate revolver.

The SP101 did very poor. The group sizes were double or triple the size, just sort of all over the place. The first cylinder of factory ammunition I had one split case. And I can't really say any of the three varieties of ammunition had groups at all, more like shotgun patterns.

I'm wondering if I should call Ruger and perhaps send the gun in for inspection. Thinking back, this is the only gun I've had a squib in... It was about 5 years ago. I know a squib isn't the gun's fault, however, the way I reload, my reloading steps virtually eliminate the possibility of me not putting powder in the case. Each step, one bullet at a time. Unless there are other causes of squibs besides no powder?

Is sending a gun in to Ruger because of accuracy issues a good reason to do so? I've had guns which aren't the most accurate in the past, and usually I find out later its my fault. I just don't think this is the case here.

I guess I need to buy another 327 to have another comparison. :D

paboxcall

Bearcat
What year was your 101 produced? I had an early production 101 which split the American Eagle 100 grain .327 brass which I posted about back in 2011. I also experienced extraction issues and could feel what I believed to be an abnormal amount of blowback when the gun fired. I marked one cylinder hole in particular which had the hang up when dumping the empties.

See this post for reference, unfortunately I no longer have those photos of the split brass casings: (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131694)

I did return my SP101 to Ruger and they replaced the revolver with a new SP101, others who returned their 101s had their cylinders replaced.

paboxcall

Bearcat
By the way I agree, my .327 Blackhawk is crazy accurate. I can roll cans around the end of the range at 60 yards consistently shooting offhand. Amazing gun. Off a bench the group is about 2.5" at nearly 70 yards without much effort or concentration. My favorite revolver to shoot.

Interesting. I've just been reading the sticky at the top of the revolver section here. My gun is also early production. I bought it brand new in 2010, from the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates near Chicago.

Thanks for the reply. I might give Ruger a call in January. I want to go back to the range one more time first.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
Just as a check, be sure the rear sight isn't flopping around. Has a guy show up for his CCL test and the rear sight elevation screw and springs were missing on his old Security Six.

This model has fixed sights.

I did manage to take this gun back to the range yesterday. I tried my loads with H110 and then some factory ammo. Again I had another split case in the factory ammunition. This really makes me wonder if I should send it in to Ruger or not.

I had two boxes of factory ammo, so I tried the rest of them to see if I would get any more split cases. But no, just the one. I did however get a lot of blowback from the factory ammo. I wear glasses, but could feel it on my face. There were also a few sticky cases when trying to eject the empties. The factory ammo (American Eagle) is really, really dirty.

The accuracy was a little better, but honestly, I felt that my reloads with H110 were the best performers.

I guess I'll call Ruger and maybe see what they have to say.

paboxcall

Bearcat
Kevin said:
This model has fixed sights.

I did manage to take this gun back to the range yesterday. I tried my loads with H110 and then some factory ammo. Again I had another split case in the factory ammunition. This really makes me wonder if I should send it in to Ruger or not.

I had two boxes of factory ammo, so I tried the rest of them to see if I would get any more split cases. But no, just the one. I did however get a lot of blowback from the factory ammo. I wear glasses, but could feel it on my face. There were also a few sticky cases when trying to eject the empties. The factory ammo (American Eagle) is really, really dirty.

The accuracy was a little better, but honestly, I felt that my reloads with H110 were the best performers.

I guess I'll call Ruger and maybe see what they have to say.

While the American Eagle 100 grain loads are hot, and yes dirty, the difference between the SP101 I returned to Ruger and the one they replaced it with is night and day. Definitely call them. When i was having trouble someone here said if you're getting blowback like that I should call the factory.

I carry the SP101 a lot, goes with me everywhere unless I'm dressed up, then its the S&W BG .380 iwb. The 101 is a very accurate revolver for me with the factory loads.