Is this normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Con

Bearcat
Guys,
Pulled this from an Australian forum.

Without my rifles to look at and compare its got me stumped ... but shouldn't the opening on the bolt face be in the downward position?

photo-1.jpg

Cheers...
Con

RJ556

Buckeye
Wait a minute. Being stainless, it has to be a MKII. So, all MKII's are control round feed. That means that the head of the case slides vertically up the non-fenced bottom side of the bolt head as the round is moving forward into the chamber, until the vertical movement is stopped by the bolt head rim at the TOP of the bolt. I say, as the OP has indicated, something is wrong with that picture. I am at work now, so I can't go grab one of my 77's to compare.

Con

Bearcat
RJ556,
You win the cigar! Its a MKII, it shouldn't look like this, the cut out should be at the bottom allowing the case to slide up under the extractor claw. This one acts as a pushfeed only ... a hybrid action ... or a left handed bolt stuffed onto a right handed gun?
Cheers...
Con

Con

Bearcat
Okay ... seems to have been sorted. Its a first generation MkII ... absolute earliest were bump feed/pushfeed.
Cheers...
Con

Sugar River

Buckeye
Con said:
Okay ... seems to have been sorted. Its a first generation MkII ... absolute earliest were bump feed/pushfeed.
Cheers...
Con

Correct! The switch to CRF in the Mkll occurred circa 1991. I happened to overhear comments from the bolt action assembly line about the 4 pages of new checks and procedures required after the change.

Pete

Latest posts