Is this level of finish wear normal? (New Vaquero)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
This is my bought-new-in-mid-'05 NewVaq357. I took some closeups on the finish wear that all seems linked to handling.

4225443119_cbd6362de0.jpg

4225443129_13a592950c.jpg

4225443137_ab67fd0b6a.jpg

It's also on the trigger, and the area of fake-case-color above the triggerguard on the right side is also basically gone white.

There's been NO signs of rust in these areas. I assume it's either because I wipe them after use or there's something left of the original finish acting as a rust barrier (at least on the grip frame and triggerguard).

Note that this is my only centerfire gun, period, and my daily carry CCW piece...

I kinda like it :). It's...well...visible proof I probably know how to shoot this thing :). (And I've gotten comments to that effect from people who've seen it.)

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Your mods are not something I would have done. But, I have always liked that particular handgun because it has good honest wear from someone carrying it daily. Don't know if that is normal wear as I would be willing to bet no one carries theirs as much as you do.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I should add, the grip panels have been partially smoothed plus rounded at the bottom for pinkie-under. Yeah, a bit ugly but it works so well I haven't swapped 'em out. Eventually I'll do my own.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I have a SBH that had that kind of wear on the grip frame and the frame itself above the trigger gard. Here are the last pics of it before it was torn down, stripped and polished for new bluing. The previous owner I think used this gun to drive nails, fence post and whatever he could hit with it. It also looks like it sat submerged in water at some pint! It was a mess. But damned if it doesn't shoot, very well!

DSCF1332.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

superblackhawkpics2010.jpg

DSCF1354.jpg

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Jim, that is absolutely normal wear considering that you actually use that smokewagon instead of letting it sit in a safe. That is honest, smooth wear. There doesn't look like any kind of abuse whatsoever.

It's a badge of honor, man.

I had a couple of Vaq's that I used to use in CAS and the case hardening was absolutely non existent in that same area.

As far as the mottling on the grip frame and trigger, I would venture to guess that your sweat may be a little caustic (I know that sounds bad, but it isn't. I've got a friend who's sweat turns his clothes orange. Just a chemical thing). I've seen other firearms with the same sort of wear patterns and it seemed to be caused from sweat rather than friction. I wouldn't worry about it whatsoever.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Other than finish wear I've had no problems whatsoever with this piece. When I bought it in 2005 the store had three to pick from - all were built "tight and right" and I chose this one just because it had the most subdued fake case colors of the three.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
It definitely has "character," and I like guns with character. I've never seen a New Vaquero though with that much "character." It appears to be well-used and enjoyed. Do you have plans to refinish it? If so, what finish are you considering?

tek4260

Buckeye
101_1551.jpg

101_1552.jpg

101_1554.jpg

101_1558.jpg

Here is an OM Super that has the same type wear. Not abuse, just use... Except for the ring on the back of the cylinder from having the wrong screw in the rear sight that was a wee bit too long.

I find the speckling on the cylinder odd because there is not a dent or ding anywhere on the revolver. How does the blue do that without being hit or dropped that I can see?

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Yup. Similar all right.

In my case, there's not much holster wear in large part because most of the carry was in a cordura fanny pack. I have VERY light holster wear at the muzzle but nothing matching the handling/shooting wear. I guess it's possible part of it is me having caustic sweat of some sort :(.

If I get the cash together, first priority before refinishing is to put a custom-shortened Bisley grip frame on, sorta replicating the old #5 grip frame.

Latest posts