Is this a repairable problem? PICS (I hope)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

catmath 1911

Bearcat
I traded into a used SP101, tearing it down to clean it I noted these marks on the cylinder face. None of the marks seem to cause a burr inside the throats. Is this a cosmetic issue only? i am wondering if it is from manufacturing or previous owner? there are no ther marks on the cylinder to suggest it was dropped.

CIMG2403.jpg

catmath 1911

Bearcat
It looks worse in the pics. I can't feel any burr or deformation inside the throat. What could be done about it? Will ruger install a new Cylinder?

Andy

revhigh

Hawkeye
You're fine, even if there's a burr, just grind it down. It's just the cylinder ... don't worry about it.

REV

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wow, the front of that cylinder is way too clean. Run a little piece of wood around the front edges of the charge holes and make sure there isn't a burr, then proceed to blacken the front so the dents aren't so obvious. That's what I would do. :D

...Jimbo

Hugh

Buckeye
It looks to me like they are both misshapen a little; the bottom one much more so. There may not be a "burr" that you can feel. Put them under a glass for a better look. They do look, though, like they can be ground off fairly easily. A smith could probably tell you what is best for the job. Dremmel, stone, or cloth.

bub

Single-Sixer
As long as the bottom one has not swaged metal into the cylinder mouth or raised a burr, they should be just cosmetic only. Go shoot it and enjoy the heck out of it!

Bub

rug357

Bearcat
How in the heck does somebody damage that part?
I'm thinking it was done at the factory.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Looks like the bottom dent swaged a little material into the throat. I think I'd stone that 1 and the 1 at 1 o'clock out with a 3/8: round stone. Then run a flat stone over the other dings just to make sure it won't bind up.

Then shoot it!

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
whomever did that probably beats little dogs and small children, I would bite the bullet and send back to Ruger and have them take care of it.

catmath 1911

Bearcat
Appreciate the replies. It honestly looks worse in the pic than it is. I can't feel a burr or deformation inside the throat using mouth of a spent casing. I tool a fine white ceramic stick and lightly chamfered the edge of the throat(no major metal removal, just polished) I put up some more pics. I also sent an email to ruger to see what the options are for repair. In the last pic, the chamber in question is at 3 0'clock

Andy

CIMG2420.jpg

CIMG2405.jpg

CIMG2404.jpg

sebtool

Blackhawk
Try running your fingernail over the areas in question. If you can just barely feel it grab, you've probably got anywhere from .002-.005 worth of material protruding into the throat. And I'd imagine that's enough to mess with your accuracy a bit, not to mention some possible leading problems.
Another way to check the throats is get a couple gage pins in .001 increments from about .005 under the throat diameter right up to the nominal size Ruger calls out. Checking mine with a dial caliper real quick I came up with .359. If you know a local machinist with a minus tolerance set of pins, he could check it in a few minutes. If you wanted to buy them and check it yourself they can be had from McMaster Carr (.com) for probably $3-4 each. But remember to get the minus tolerance, not the plus. That way when they fit, you know that your size is going to be the diameter of the pin, not a guess. They've got stones, too if you needed some.
I'd imagine Ruger's customer service could tell you what the spec is.

rug357

Bearcat
sebtool":2biykmxp said:
Try running your fingernail over the areas in question. If you can just barely feel it grab, you've probably got anywhere from .002-.005 worth of material protruding into the throat.

Try it with lady's nylon stocking instead.
That's what I use to check for damaged guide rods on my fishing pole.

Rclark

Hunter
First question is "How does it shoot"? If accuracy is acceptable then it's just cosmetic. Otherwise, time to do something about it.

catmath 1911

Bearcat
Appreciate the replies. Heard back from Ruger-They said Send it in for a Look over. I'll update the thread as more info is available.

GP100man

Buckeye
Is it possible to do this with a brush ??

While rammin it back & forth the cyl falls shut & is hit with the core ???

I`d clean out the throats & as long as it did`nt spit shoot it.

Did`nt see page 2 . If ruger will pick it up on there dime, sure send it to em ,other wise I`d be inclined to do the above.

Good Luck with either decision ya make!!

catmath 1911

Bearcat
Thought I'd update the thread. .I did contact Ruger and they agreed to take a look at it. 8 Weeks later it was back in my hands with a new cylinder. Very Pleased with Ruger's customer service.

Latest posts