Is this 3 screw .357 over priced or ridiculously over priced?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I don't have a photo of the gun in question but can describe it. I saw a 4 5/8" late 60s Blackhawk .357 with a Super blackhawk brass grip frame and standard factory wood grips. The gun is unmodified and appeared about 95% condition. The price is $1200 (ouch!). That sermed high to me but I don't know what the brass grip frame is worth. $300 or more?? I have no clue. The gun would be a perfect candidate for the spare sheep horn grips I havev (see picture). And I'd love the look and feel of such a setup. Based on my description, what would you consider a decent price for this gun?

Yep sounds a weeeeeeeeeeee bit high. You are correct on the price of the brass grip frame. I think the gun is to early to be shipped with the brass frame. Unless those sheep horn grips are on a Super frame which doesn't look like they are they will not fit the brass one. Price ??????????

:):):):)
stevesstuff.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I was given a set of beautiful SBH sambar stags by my nephew and they are on my gun for keeps since I love them and cannot sell a gift. So these sheep horns which I had on the 1969 SBH might have to go. I call them "sheep horn" because that was what others thought they were when I asked before.

Last edited:
....nice picture Jim, but no-one I know is THAT skinny......
as for the OP question NO , too high for a late 60s OM BH, and no not a "factory " installed brass frame and the grips pictures should fit the dragoon style SBH longer grip....:cool:

...."pucker factor...' HOW bad do YOU want a brass framed old modle Blackhawk in a smaller caliber than the 44 mag.........:rolleyes:

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, that gun HAS been modified. Wrong grip frame and wrong grips.

For some of us, we'd need to search for correct grip frame and grips, do the swap and then try to sell the "wrong" parts.

Be money ahead to just find one that ain't been messed with. If they changed the grip frame, Lord only knows what else they may have done.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Yeah, that gun HAS been modified. Wrong grip frame and wrong grips.

For some of us, we'd need to search for correct grip frame and grips, do the swap and then try to sell the "wrong" parts.

Be money ahead to just find one that ain't been messed with. If they changed the grip frame, Lord only knows what else they may have done.
I'm not going to get involved with the gun. In the end I'm trying to find a gun for those nice grips. In the past I think I have bought a gun just to put some great grips I have on it. I can't remember exactly but know it had to be a colt SAA.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, unless the OM .357 has the factory letter stating it was shipped with a brass grip frame,, the price is too high. And I agree with Dan,, not likely.

But those grips,, remember,, the Super Blackhawk g/f (that brass one) uses different grips than a normal Blackhawk. Looks like those sheep horn grips are for a Blackhawk, not a Super.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'm not going to get involved with the gun. In the end I'm trying to find a gun for those nice grips. In the past I think I have bought a gun just to put some great grips I have on it. I can't remember exactly but know it had to be a colt SAA.
Yes, I have kind of done this myself also. I have a really nice set of Hogue Tulipwood combat grips for a round butt K frame Smith & Wesson revolver, and if I ever sell the revolver that they are on I keep those grips. Then I have actually purchased another revolver just to put those grips on it. Sounds silly but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Ok, unless the OM .357 has the factory letter stating it was shipped with a brass grip frame,, the price is too high. And I agree with Dan,, not likely.

But those grips,, remember,, the Super Blackhawk g/f (that brass one) uses different grips than a normal Blackhawk. Looks like those sheep horn grips are for a Blackhawk, not a Super.
It's hard to tell what the grips are for just laying there, but they are on my old Model SBH in my first post.

Lots of good commentary ps,
Yep sounds a weeeeeeeeeeee bit high. You are correct on the price of the brass grip frame. I think the gun is to early to be shipped with the brass frame. Unless those sheep horn grips are on a Super frame which doesn't look like they are they will not fit the brass one. Price ??????????

:):):):)
stevesstuff.jpg
Haven't seen that is a long time First time I seen that Carl posted it PS