Is this 1985 SS Security Six 4" Worth $400?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
What do you folks think? Should I jump?

https://www.armslist.com/posts/8259435/las-vegas-nevada-handguns-for-sale-trade--ruger-security-6

hittman

Staff member
$400?

At least .... if it's in average condition. Last weekend I bought a mint 6" stainless Security Six with no box and hesitated about 2 seconds at $500.00.

The market is soft on the majority of guns out there, but the Security Six is not one of them. Just about the time I think that is going to apply to the Security Six, or the Speed Six, someone who doesn't know that bids it up. As people said, if it passes functionality, go for it.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys!

From the one pic, it looks like the original grips. I've given him a "shout out" to see if we can meet up tomorrow. More to come.

ml1209

Single-Sixer
I've got the exact same one on layaway at a pawn shop, and their price as $450. So, yeah, I'd snag up a good condition Security Six. It feels a lot lighter and more svelt than the GP100.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Well, the guy flaked out. I left 3 messages for him yesterday and no reply. Now I noticed that he's pulled the listing. The least he could have done is send me an email and told me it was sold. Oh well, I guess my '82 Speed Six won't have any company for a while. That's okay though. No hurry.

That sucks, particularly because unless I'm mistook (it HAPPENS....) that is the interesting "Heavy Barrel" variation. Here in CA that would be an excellent price if the piece is in excellent mechanical condition.

salover

Single-Sixer
Long story so bear with me. In the early 80's my brother in law brought me 2 blue 4 inch security sizes to do an action job on. He bought them for his twin daughters. Few years later one of them passed away and my brother in law got the SS back. Fast forward - brother in law developed Alzheimer's and my sister sold his firearms and I bought the SS. Had in in my safe for several years, never fired it, and found out the remaining twin had her house burglarized and her SS was stolen. Since I already had a blue 4 inch SS without the warning on the barrel, and a 6 inch stainless also, my niece now has her sisters security six. Was very excited to get it.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
I'm the guy in the back of the room who still doesn't get it. What is the appeal of a Security Six, other than it is now hard to find? Believe me, if Ruger determined that this design was highly valued, they would be making them.

In the unlikely case that an unused Security Six was found, would it be fired at the range, carried, or a museum display? I've worked on a number of them which were owned and shot by their original buyers. Sadly I was unable to get them fixed because parts are not available. Other troubles that plague the Security Six models are inherent in the design and not just due to worn or broken parts.

Those design difficulties were resolved in the GP series, which is superior in every way. Every way.

Carry_Up

Carry_Up said:
I'm the guy in the back of the room who still doesn't get it. What is the appeal of a Security Six, other than it is now hard to find? Believe me, if Ruger determined that this design was highly valued, they would be making them.

In the unlikely case that an unused Security Six was found, would it be fired at the range, carried, or a museum display? I've worked on a number of them which were owned and shot by their original buyers. Sadly I was unable to get them fixed because parts are not available. Other troubles that plague the Security Six models are inherent in the design and not just due to worn or broken parts.

Those design difficulties were resolved in the GP series, which is superior in every way. Every way.

Carry_Up

This is akin to a Ford vs Dodge argument. Folks just have their favorites. And there's not always a winner of the debate.

And although a 2018 Toyota is probably a better car than a 1964 Malibu, I'd absolutely rather have the Malibu.

My position...Compared to the Security Six, a GP100 is soul-less and clunky.

As far as repair parts? Well, maybe new factory parts are not completely available, but parts from parts guns are quite available. I will concede you've got me there.

But then, I've never personally known a Security Six to break. Even while in the Army in an ordnance repair facility, after the Six-Series began replacing the S&W revolver for aircrews, I never saw a Six-Series revolver ever come to us for repair.

So if a person is convinced their GP100 is the better choice, more power to them, and I will not attempt to convince them otherwise.

I will remain a dinosaur, and appreciate my Security Sixes, both on the range, as well as my safe queens that I will never fire. :mrgreen:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have a ss GP with a couple hundred in an action job. It has polished pins, trigger, and hammer with a nice custom grip. Really the best looking one I've seen.

I would rather shoot, fondle, carry, or just enjoy my sixes. Weight, balance, clunky factor.
Anything in reasonable condition under $600 should be grabbed.

The reason Ruger stopped making sixes was because they were expensive to produce. Not because they was anything wrong. Poor choice in my mind.
It reminds me of Colt stopping the production on the Python to make the Trooper. You don't really think the Trooper was better do you?

Prescut

LMLarsen

Bearcat
I have a 40-year-old Service Six and two GP100s, a 6" blue and a 5" Lipsey's special. The Six's trigger is much smoother than either GP, even with the action job on the 6".

And it's not because it's been shot so much more; since it has family value it hasn't been shot much at all in the last 20 years. The Six action is just easier to tune than the GP in my experience.

hittman

Staff member
The Six Series are not scarce, difficult or work on or absent of parts if needed.

My fondness for them is both practical and sentimental. A 4-inch blued Security Six was the first gun I ever bought with my own money. Can't tell you how many I've bought, sold and traded in the past 35 years or how many in the safe right now. Honestly, I've never had one "break".

I do own a couple or 3 GP's but there's (for me) really no practical application for one. They're just bigger, heavier and have the goofy "peg" grip thingy.

Just a personal preference thing. But, I also like a good K frame Smith over the L or N frames too.