Is the NSA still not listening?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blume357

Hawkeye
I'm wondering if the moratorium on our various government powers listening in on our phone conversations, reviewing our text and emails is still on... I surely hope so.

Good friend died suddenly last week. He was in charge of planning an annul event we have every year. This event is next week and so a couple of us are having to scramble to get everything still set up.... one of his employees is trying to coordinate some of the items he had planned... got this text from the employee today:

"Just so you know we have 1lb of aluminum powder, 1lb of potassium perchlorate and 10lbs of ammonium nitrate."

we'll see who comes a knocking.....

I had 10lbs of Black Powder delivered last week.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I'm wondering if the moratorium on our various government powers listening in on our phone conversations, reviewing our text and emails is still on... I surely hope so.

Good friend died suddenly last week. He was in charge of planning an annul event we have every year. This event is next week and so a couple of us are having to scramble to get everything still set up.... one of his employees is trying to coordinate some of the items he had planned... got this text from the employee today:

"Just so you know we have 1lb of aluminum powder, 1lb of potassium perchlorate and 10lbs of ammonium nitrate."

we'll see who comes a knocking.....

I had 10lbs of Black Powder delivered last week.

Still listening. The moratorium was rescinded on cell phones a couple weeks ago by some Fed court. They never stopped capturing stuff on the web. Unless you're planning to use those chemicals in some illegal way, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They're not idiots, they know lot's of folks like us don't have any intent of causing a problem. Standard formula for threat assessment is: Intent x Capability. You may have the Capability, but without the Intent it's not a threat. Put the 2 together, and you can expect a visit from the FBI.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
How would the government determine intent without an investigation?

That's always the hardest part. You've got to get inside somebodies head, and even then Intent can change rapidly. Usually, Intent is determined by public statements, such as posts on FB, Twitter, blogs and forums like this one, etc. There are numbers attached to both Intent and Capability to arrive at a Probability number that the threat will be carried out. Probability is on a scale of 0 to 1, with impossible = 0, and 1= it's happening. Anything in between is a fraction. For example the Probability of the occurrence of a bombing derived from Intent X Capability within some defined time frame and location, may be .95 + (pretty much a sure thing), .10 or less (ain't gonna happen) or anything in between. The difficulty is getting enough info to reduce the error in that judgement to acceptable levels. It's also not just a onetime, single piece of info either. It's an accumulation of tiny bits of info that produce a trend. All very statistical, subjective, difficult and often wrong.

Never discount the "Black Swan".

Precision32

Blackhawk
All of these forums are under NSA surveillance. When I had my compliance inspection for my FFL, I was told that they read my forum posts.

blume357

Hawkeye
Well then except for the point that I don't think they have the right to listen in to private conversations with out a court order... and a public gun forum is very different from that for sure... I'm not worried because I have no intent to harm anyone... friend or enemy... all for entertainment purposes only.... picked up 25lbs of dried goat's milk on Monday... figure that one out.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
All the search engines plus the NSA and the FBI mine these forums, so watch what you say or imply.

Myron

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
TitanX

"And artificial intelligence is being refined all the time."

Yep, most of it is done by robotic computers. How many times have you used a search engine for a topic,
and some forum post shows up in the links ?

The NSA and FBI can't possibly read everything on the web, but look for repeated patterns, or repeated destinations for emails, keywords,etc. If something catches their attention, then it will be scrutinized further.

Myron

blume357

Hawkeye
If you check who's online here every once and a while you will see a googlebot or x-bot or such is browsing here.....
I've been interviewed by the FBI too... but it was a long time ago.... before the internet.... one of the few items I have bragging rights too...
(even though I guess some folks would not consider it bragging)...
they were looking for the Uni-bomber and thought I might be him.......

Pierow

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
.......picked up 25lbs of dried goat's milk on Monday... figure that one out.
Now you are just showing off Blume. I have a tip for you. If you shoot them out of 5 gallon buckets pick up a few of those stainless steel mixing bowls from Wallmart that fit perfectly into the bottom of the bucket. It focuses the lift charge through the center of the powder and is more efficient. You get a nice rolling effect.

Also, if someone happens to have some course magnallium or titanium laying around a few sprinkles of that make a really neat hanging flitter / glitter effect.

Be Safe, Pierow

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I guess the government may now have me on their list. I have never mentioned this before but it is out in the open now.

I have a small bar of Magnesium in one of my saddle bags. I use it from time to time to start a fire in the National Forest Grazing Permits areas when I need a fire. I don't smoke so I have never carried matches. That Magnesium Bar has been in my saddle bag for over 50 years, started many dozens of fires, and as far as I know this is the first time I have let the secret out.

Rancher Will said:
I guess the government may now have me on their list. I have never mentioned this before but it is out in the open now.

I have a small bar of Magnesium in one of my saddle bags. I use it from time to time to start a fire in the National Forest Grazing Permits areas when I need a fire. I don't smoke so I have never carried matches. That Magnesium Bar has been in my saddle bag for over 50 years, started many dozens of fires, and as far as I know this is the first time I have let the secret out.
Oh Will, say it isn't so! I doubt the cat will go back in the bag now! You have put millions of cigarette lighter workers jobs in jeaporady over the years by not carrying a cigarette lighter. The good news: that situation is repairable. :mrgreen:
gramps

blume357

Hawkeye
I have a small one of those bars in my walking in the woods pack... had forgotten about it until now... Jeremiah sure could have used one when he was trying to start that fire under the fir tree.

As for 'my' gun orgies.... Saturday a week away.. Just south of Prosperity S.C. there will be a lot of shooting and a few explosions. Friday and Saturday night on nearby Lake Murray will be interesting too. But there are others who are in charge of all this, much better qualified than me. My only contribution will be at the shoot, I'm bringing an M1 Garand to show these young pups that those men in WWII and Korean were some more tough.

Latest posts