Is the ammo shortage over?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

comfun1

Bearcat
I was in walmart today and went by the sporting goods, they had eight bricks of 22 ammo 550 rounds each so I bought four. It's the first time I have seem 22 ammo on their shelf since Obama was elected. Just wondering, is the shortage over?

jimd441

Blackhawk
I can only address .22's, but in Central N.C. the supplies have returned to a near normal state.

Jim

sheepman

Bearcat
Not over but getting better, there still are days that there are no bulk 22s in stock but at least they are available some days. Good luck and shoot safe. Bill

Old22mag

Bearcat
Not much better around here, I'm still not seeing any bulk .22, .38Sp, .380, or .45ACP

mjh

Single-Sixer
Getting better in MN with some brands and handgun ammo is getting better stocked. Still some gaps and folks buying out what is there.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I wouldn't say it's "over" yet, but I did manage to find some .22 ammo at one of our Wally World stores a week or two ago. They had three of the "small" boxes of 375 from Federal on the shelf--none of the 550s yet. First ones of either size I've seen in months.

I asked the fellow if things were getting better, and he told me he wasn't sure. He thought maybe people had just "given up" looking cuz his shelves have been empty so long... but the stuff he gets in is still not gathering any dust.

Rick C

comfun1":anou7zf8 said:
I was in walmart today and went by the sporting goods, they had eight bricks of 22 ammo 550 rounds each so I bought four. It's the first time I have seem 22 ammo on their shelf since Obama was elected. Just wondering, is the shortage over?

I see a very slight improvement, but it's still not good.

I cannot go out, tonight, and buy .22LR Mini Mag HP's.
I cannot buy anything in .45 Colt.
I cannot buy Federal CastCore .357's or .44's.

These items are my staples. If they cannot be purchased, then the shortage is far from over.

Your results may vary...

WAYNO.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
3 Wal-Marts within 16 miles from here. None ever have more than a couple 100 rd boxes of .22 ammo when I go in - been checking every weekend. I'd like to get a couple of the 555 rd Winchester packs if they EVER come in. The clerks I've talked to seem unaware of any coming in at all - I was concerned that they do and are gone in the 1st hour. Of course, those of us with jobs can't be there when they get a shipment in....

sidecarr

Bearcat
was at bass pro shop today brought 3 500 round boxes of winchester xpert and 2 525 round boxes of remington . was there last week and had no bulk 22's ,have not seen bulk 22's in quite a while b4 today

meanc

Single-Sixer
I believe this has something to do with store employees calling up their buddies and local shops sending in 3 or 4 people at a time to get their 6 box maximum.

But it does seem to be a regional thing.

DavidABQ

Bearcat
Today at the local Sportmans Warehouse there were several cases of
Remington Cyclone ammo.

Now I'm not inclined to use Remington Cyclone ammo but it is very encouraging to see several cases of the stuff when you consider that they had nothing a few months ago.

Cort R. Shots

Bearcat
I have two Wally worlds within 30 miles from my home, I seem to find all my ammo at one of these stores at the lowest price during this ammo shortage. I can get .22 LR, 9mm or .40 rounds at almost half the price of the other "gun" stores. This is the only reason I go into Wally world and I cannot understand why they have so much ammo when the big sporting goods stores are out. Around here the wally worlds have stopped carrying firearms, so I am really surprised they continue to sell ammo. I also reload for my .44 and am having a hard time finding primers. I buy them when I can find them but have noticed the quality isn't there, 5-6 bad primers per 100. I think ammo companies are catching up, good luck

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I have a question. Why is it only Walmart has the 550 boxes? Why don't regular gun dealers have the 550 boxes. I was able to pick up a box of 500 round Federals at a local Cabelas but they cost $5.00 more than the 550s at Wally. Do the ammo manufacturers only make the value boxes for the chain stores? If my local dealers had the value boxes I would gladly buy from them. :D

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
At least in my area of the world, the question is not whether the ammo shortage over, the question is instead, will prices eventually come back down to (or close to) Pre-Obama levels . There seems to be adequate stock for most calibers at the likes of Gander and the local gun shops, but the idea of paying $48.00/100 for .45acp, $32.00/100 for 9mm and $10.00/100 for CCI .22s :shock: isn't going to encourage me to add to my current stock any time soon. According (like many others), I stop at Walmart several times a week and buy what I can find at a decent price.

wwb

Hunter
As stated by BuckJM53, the supply side seems to have loosened up considerably, but the prices are running about 50% higher than a year ago.

500 round brick of CCI Blazer .22 LR... a year ago, $11-$12.... now, $16-$17

Federal 550 round bulk .22 LR.... a year ago, $10-$11.... now, $15-$16

Centerfire, I reload.... but primers are just beginning to show up again, and rifle/pistol primers are running $30 per thousand.... a year ago, $18-$20 per thousand.

Powder is up $1-$2 per pound, or about $10 per 8 lb jug for shotgun powders.... and, to make things worse, lead shot seems to be going back up...... at least it'sone thing cheaper than a year ago - sure hope it stops short of $40 a bag.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
I only check our Meijers store about once a week when the wife does her shopping, but lately they have had 9mm at $25.99/100 and .45ACP at $46.99/100. Zilch on .22 for a long time, but a fair selection of HP rifle ammo.
For a very long time they had about zero of any ammo of any kind.

Myron

Latest posts