Is the .41 Mag dead?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kmoore

Buckeye
It's a fine caliber, I always wondered shortly after the Dirt Harry fame took over and the .44 mag was the caliber and model 29 the gun that nearly all others were put in the .44 mags shadows as far as sales. It never grained its popularity it deserves. Last fall I had the chance to buy a S&W .41mag. I
I thought it was a 4 inch model 57. It ended up the 357PD 4 inch titanium cylinder, light wt gun. I passed.

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
I owned a model 57 with the 8 3/8 barrel for a short time.
Seems to me it had the muzzle blast of a 357 and the recoil about the same as a 44 mag.

loaded round

Hunter
I suspect the 41 Mag and and the 40 S&W have outlived their usefulness and should be given a proper send off and laid to rest.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
I suspect the 41 Mag and and the 40 S&W have outlived their usefulness and should be given a proper send off and laid to rest.

So has the '57 Chevy Nomad, the '32 Ford Coupe and the FJ40 Landcruiser but I still want one!

Silcott

Bearcat
Is the .41 mag dead?

Not for me! I currently have 3 Ruger 41's (2 Bisley, and a Redhawk) withe the plan's to add a 10" FA83 sometime soon.

41 dead? Lol Maybe for some people, but those people think that the 25-06 is dead too. 🤣

Justin

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Had my 4" M-57' since 1980. "Someday" I will get a Ruger. Henry lists a 41 Magnum carbine, another one for my "someday" list.

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,, certain calibers bring up pros & con discussions.
Want a real lesson,, look at all the "wildcat" calibers built by people since metallic cartridges were invented. Hundreds of them. Many of the (now) popular calibers were at one point a wildcat, yet became standards & widely adopted. The 44 mag was pushed by Elmer,, (who used the 44 spl as his base,) and now it's a standard.
Many hundreds of calibers never make it as an accepted production caliber. And of the ones that do,, sometimes they too fall by the wayside. There are many, many calibers that have done that as well.
But as long as sales are profitable,, many survive. They may not be the current mainstream most popular caliber,, but they keep selling & keep making a portion of the shooting public very happy. Some even seem to die out,, only to be resurrected because of something new makes them ideal. Think SASS & the revival of the 38-40, or the 44-40.
Profits drive things.

If the .41 mag or even the .40 S&W were "dead" then nobody would invest in a losing product.

The .41 mag has always been a smaller market,, but due to it's popularity,, it has also made money for many companies. As such,, it still lives and by all accounts,, will continue to do so.

bobski

Hunter
I don't know where my post went asking why the 41 would win out over a 44 special.
I asked to determine a possible reason for it being over looked. can anyone compare the 2?

contender

Ruger Guru
bobski,, in general,, I think the .41 mag would win out over the .44 spl based upon factory ammo ballistics where performance is concerned. Yes,, you can play with various handloads & get the two of them in the similar range of things. In handloading,, there are more projectiles for the .44 vs the .41 so in that respect,, the .44 spl would win out.
But ballistically speaking,, in general,, if a person handloads,, AND works on a good bullet design,, the next limitation of the .44 would be case capacity. You can load a .41 with a wider range of bullets with more powder space than there is available in the .44 spl. And when you get into that realm,, the general thing is to go to the .44 mag instead of making the .44 spl work harder.
And then there is the felt recoil issue. There is a lot of discussion about that in general,, but that comes down to an individual perception of felt recoil.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In comparing generic mainstream standard bullet weight loads with .41 Mag vs .44 Mag , the energy will be essentially same , .41 will have flatter trajectory , and +/- 15% less recoil . Is 15% meaningful ? It all depends .

If you are physically handicapped , or unaccustomed to big bores , both will be too much.

If you regularly plink with your .500, both are wimpy .

For me , and many others , they will fall just either side of dividing line between controllable in fairly rapid fire , or not

NewRuger41

Bearcat
The .41 magnum cartridge ia alive and well. True, it is a niche cartridge. But seemingly there are enough supporters for products to be manufactured.

20220205-225151-copy-1325x1047.jpg

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I still have a 4 inch nickel and a 6 inch blue from Smith and Wesson, both no dash, pinned and recessed with wood boxes. You will not get either from me any time soon.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Been following this thread. Interesting, and some nice handguns y'all have shown. I have .41mag in a NMBH 6.5" barrel since '99, and a Henry BBSC (16.5"). The Henry I bought for deer about 4 years back, and did a chrono on 2 separate factory loads, which may be of interest to ya'll. Although the Hornady did its job, the Underwood did a better job on the several deer that I shot since I bought it. All deer were between approx 75 and 100yds. Y'all who have a .44 may want to compare with this. I never bothered to chrono the NMBH tho, so the below may not be meaningful in this discussion, except as a small point of interest in the life span of the caliber. :D

Hornady 190grn FTX

9WKKFER.jpg

HyXSXZL.jpg

Underwood 210grn XTP

8T2nBV3.jpg

QOuRx1N.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Good info gunny,, but those of us who "know" don't need charts to prove anything. We see the results on the ground! :D

Seriously,, good info!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I know. Just did the chrono out of curiosity, since I had one available and felt obligated to use it. :) I was somewhat surprised the Underwood 210grn had a significantly higher mv, and less variation, than the lighter Hornady 190grn. Which, of course, means more consistent ballistic performance - always a good thing. :)

Forgot to add a pic of the Henry, since y'all like pics. :wink:

aG22tUl.jpg

loaded round

Hunter
How many NEW firearm models in 41 Mag have you seen come out in past year? Answer your question?

NewRuger41

Bearcat
loaded round said:
How many NEW firearm models in 41 Mag have you seen come out in past year? Answer your question?

Charter Arms has 1.

Ruger has 3.

Smith and Wesson has 1.

Freedom Arms has 2.

Henry Arms has 3.

Latest posts