Is the .41 Mag dead?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

turd

Blackhawk
That is the question. I have three - a scoped, MagNaPorted 8 3/8" S&W, a S&W Mountain gun, and a pristine NM Blackhawk w/6 1/2" barrel. Haven't done much shooting lately, and when I moved to South Dakota (read rifle country) they sort of moved to safe queen status. I'm not sure the Blackhawk has ever been fired, and the Mountain Gun certainly not much.

With this caliber moving farther and farther from the mainstream, I'm beginning to wonder if they are worth keeping? Not seeing any for sale for a long time, do you think the value will go down? I have reloaded for this caliber and still have all the tools needed, just no primers and very little powder.

Just a general question, thoughts on the .41 Mag?

hittman

Staff member
Their value continues to rise. Look at completed auctions on GunBroker.

Still love mine. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy others but not at pandemic prices.

I just got the Blue Book of Gun Values, and among the Blackhawks, the 41 magnum gets a 20% premium over other calibers.

I’ve got the Bisley with the 6 1/2 inch barrel. Heavy, but it soaks up the recoil and shoots very flat and accurate.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I just visited Missouri Cast Bullets and bought 2 boxes of 215 gr Troopers. Driving there was cheaper than shipping. I would like a 6.5” BH to go with my 4 5/8” BH.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
My Model 57 ain’t going nowhere. Bullets aren’t as easy to find as other calibers but I just buy them when I find them and keep on reloading. I find I can get more uses out of .41 cases than .44. But less than .45 colt.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I dont own one but I certainly would if I could find one for a decent price

Im thinkin a 7.5 inch 657 with a RMR would make about the perfect Michigan deer huntin pistol

contender

Ruger Guru
"Their value continues to rise. Look at completed auctions on GunBroker.

Still love mine. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy others but not at pandemic prices."

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

The 41 mag isn't dead,, but is often overlooked by the "less informed" handgunners. Plus,, too many people who aren't serious shooters feel they have too much recoil,, or they prefer a bottom feeding shell shucker. That's why the .10mm is kinda popular.

To those of us who are more serious about handgunning,, and enjoy the quiet performance of the .41 Mag usually smile a lot when someone offers a gun for sale,, in a sorta apologetic way,, saying; "I know it's a .41 mag,, but nobody seems to want it so I'll take "X" amount for mine." We politely say thank you,, buy them,, and truly enjoy the benefits of such a fine caliber.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Cousin has a S&W 41 mag and kills a deer now and then with it. Claims WW 210 Silvertips are the perfect load.

hittman

Staff member
I prefer my 41 Mags in double action.

voxsjia.jpg

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Not withstanding the current overall ammo shortage , and the focus on producing mostly the half dozen most common rounds , there are more flavors of .41 offered nowadays than ever before .

The death of the .41 Mag has been periodically predicted since about 1965 , but it still continues along in its niche , and will continue to do so . As noted , its virtues are subtle enough to not be immediately obvious , but the people who understand them really, really like them .

For comparison , the .41AE is totally dead . The 9mm Federal is totally dead . If .356 TSW isn't totally dead yet , it's the next thing .

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
Seems like I've always had one in the stable. Currently a 6.5" OM Blackhawk my wife carries for bears. When I was in grad school and guided part-time on wild hogs, I preferred a short OM because I got better penetration with full hard cast loads.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
Hi...
I have four .41Magnum revolvers and I shoot them regularly with both cast and jacketed bullet loads.
I would happily buy another if I could find one in good shape at a price that I thought was reasonable.

I would really like to find a .41Magnum lever action rifle with a real wood stock in good condition.