Is s/n 9465 a Type 2?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Local friend of mine bought a 4 5/8 inch 357 Blackhawk serial number 9465.

Someone has put an XR3 Red grip frame on it but otherwise it's a VERY nicely preserved original without the safety conversion.

Am I correct this is what they call the Type 2?

Anything else interesting or good to know about this vintage gun?

RENE and Bob's List both put 9465 right in the Type 2 guns, in 1957.

Whether it is "still a Type 2" depends on how serious you are about rigidly conforming to the accepted characteristics of such guns. As it is, it's likely what Bob would have called a "screwdriver variation". To a purist, it's not "original" right now, but putting an XR3 grip setup back on it might satisfy them . . . if everything else checks out. :wink:

hittman

Staff member
If he wants to buy a near mint XR3 grip frame is it an easy swap with no modifications needed? What's a nice one sell for?

He'd need the cheese grater grips too ..... are those in the $75 range?

simple enough swap, and they are out there,,,the last ones I sold here in OHio the XR-3 frame was $125 and the hard rubber ( plastic) black grips ala mid 50s were $90, seen 'em higher, seen 'em less....its the "pucker factor" in play here.... :roll: 8) :wink:

Just for fun, here's one of WMG's ads which includes what is a 2A variation. It's item #2 in the ad, and it has sold, but good info is provided. I'm pretty sure Bob won't mind the extra exposure. :wink:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=294261

:mrgreen:

hittman said:
Local friend of mine bought a 4 5/8 inch 357 Blackhawk serial number 9465.

Someone has put an XR3 Red grip frame on it but otherwise it's a VERY nicely preserved original without the safety conversion.

Am I correct this is what they call the Type 2?

Anything else interesting or good to know about this vintage gun?
If your friend wants to put it back to original I have the parts he will need.