Is it too soon to start X-ing off the days

Help Support Ruger Forum:

leading up to hunting season(s)?
With a few minutes to spend prior to a work call, I checked to see how long I have to wait. Looks like 132 days before MO deer season opener and less than a week later is our New Mexico trip.
Thinking of all the things that must happen in the meantime is daunting but that's part of the experience.

You guys 'down south' seeing well developed velvet antlers yet? I saw 4 young bucks munching soybeans this morning and one last week that will be a dandy this fall.

Downside is I'm seeing a lot of 'blank' does lately. Fawns should be old enough to run around with Mom by now. Predation is significant.
We're running a single adult guard dog with the goats since they're right next to my house but even with that proximity, the dog seems to be worn to a frazzle every morning from chasing yoties all night. As soon as we get some hay baled, I want to get out with the night vision and see if I can fix that.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Noticing a lot of fox and a few yotes here in crappy Ma. Less deer than years back I recall. I live in the country and have also noticed less and less hunters. Read there has been a decline of 50% in hunting license sales over the last 20 years. Still deer in my area but not like 15 years back when they were more plentiful.

@Mobuck

Bucks looking good in SWGA, especially that one in the middle.

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 71

BearBiologist

Buckeye
No, when I still hunted, I started the day the season ended (at least, I started planning and applying for vacation time!)

wolfsong

Staff member
leading up to hunting season(s)?
With a few minutes to spend prior to a work call, I checked to see how long I have to wait. Looks like 132 days before MO deer season opener and less than a week later is our New Mexico trip.
Thinking of all the things that must happen in the meantime is daunting but that's part of the experience.
You're about 100 days out right about now. When do the sleepiness nights spent in anticipation set in?

I've started going over my dove gear awaiting September 1st. Added a couple more Mojos and such, checking the battery supply, stocked up on ammo, evicted the black widows nesting in my dove vest hanging in the garage, done some scouting and counting and checked flight patterns, checked the almanac for sunrise/sunset and temps etc etc etc. Still have to range test my new Browning and choose a choke - I'm really looking forward to that!

Come on September 1st!

Mobuck, i hope you have a ton of fun. We'll be waiting for detailed reports! Most importantly, BE SAFE! Peace and God bless.

Most of us consider the preparation and anticipation a significant part of the 'hunting experience'. I'll be in a much happier place once I get my shoulder attended to.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
In Cali, Zone A started at the beginning part of August (Archery in July). Tule elk (by a very limited draw) was early September.