Is it safe to shoot 9mm plated in convertible Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Century Limited

Bearcat
I have been wanting a 9mm revolver for some time. I wish to buy a larger size one that will minimize perceived recoil and lessen the risk of bullet jump. I would also prefer to avoid the use of moon clips. A single action 357/9mm convertible seems to fit the bill precisely....but.....

Ruger states to only use jacketed bullets with the 9mm cylinder. It appears that the cylinder throat may shave off some lead and eventually the cylinder could build up with lead so that the next rounds loaded may not seat all he way and cause the cylinder to stick and not rotate. I could handle that problem by stopping shooting the 9mm and cleaning the gun. My concern is that I have a few thousand PLATED bullets on hand for 9mm that I shoot in my SR9c as well as a few other 9mm guns. I also am new to reloading and have been using the best data that I can find for STARTING loads as I should. It is hard to find the starting loads for many bullet/powder combinations, and when I do find it it seems to vary greatly from one manual to another. Cutting to the chase here, when my starting loads are too weak to cycle the action on the SR9c, yet strong enough to clear the barrel, I would much rather shoot them through a revolver than pull the bullets. While I could likely put a 14# spring in the SR9c and shoot the weaker loads, I would much prefer not doing so. I

I figured a 357/9mm stainless flattop would fit the bill nicely (stainless so I can change front sight if need be). I almost bought one yesterday, but am concerned that if I shoot plated in it, the plating may be stripped and result in sever leading of the barrel or worse yet a barrel obstruction. I do not want to risk personal injury or damage to the revolver. I could simply switch to fmj loads, but that defeats the "excuse to buy" to shoot up the 200 or so rounds I have that are too weak for the semi-autos. Again, much more fun to shoot those 200 and any more I come across in future than to pull the bullets.

Searching the web, it appears some people have stated that they do indeed shoot plated through the blackhawks. I am unsure if the variance from one cylinder to another or newer vs older models makes a lot of difference. I like the older blued models as well as the new stainless flattops, but leaning towards what I can find locally, a 4.62" stainless flattop (likely would get 5.5" if available instead)

Have any of you shot plated 9mm through your blackhawks? If so, have you found a preference on particular weight/style/brand? Again, I hope to use it to shoot almost anything loaded too weak for semi autos as well as loading specifically for it.

I already have a GP100 for 38/357, so also wouldn't mind input on the LCR 9mm. I do not think the wife/kids would care for the recoil, and I have never personally shot the smaller guns and prefer larger myself. If it had exposed hammer and could shoot single action I would be more apt to consider it. My eyes also favor sights on my Super Blackhawk over the sights on LCR.

Thanks for any replies.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I did not get the memo from Ruger, I guess. I shoot plated 9mm in my NM Blackhawk. It shoots them just fine. I have measured the cylinder and the throats are uniform and correct for 9mm ammo.The throats are tapered a little from the cartridge edge to the end of the cylinder. I see no place for buildup. I also shoot a few jacketed bullets. For the plated bullets I run them at the top of the cast bullet loading data For the Berry's. I shoot they say they are good for 1250 fps. I really like my convertible and am going to buy another soon. I only shoot 50 or so rounds a session and clean the gun every time. I have seen no buildup of anything.

Century Limited

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I really wanted to hear from those that have actually used plated in a Blackhawk. So far I have found only reference of people wanting to build up a plated bullet load for the Blackhawk, and not necessarily loads that have been used in one. I hate to assume anything, as people may just think the NMB is strong and overlook the less than obvious.

Woodperson, I am happy to hear of your positive first hand results, and I too would like for my Ruger single action family to grow. Besides my 44 mag, I have a bicentennial year single six convertible which obviously shoots lead projectiles and has had no issues. While I like the looks of the classic blued bearcats with fixed sights best, I picked up a stainless model with adjustable sights a year or so ago as my eyes appreciate the sights more. All of these have different sized grips, but seem appropriate size for each gun. I am thinking the flattop models vs the standard models would have different grip sizes as well as the flattop being a lighter revolver. I only wish that when I am interested in buying a gun, that the same dealer would have both in stock to compare side by side, or that rentals be available. It usually turns out I need to buy both myself, which is not all bad aside from the hit on the bank account.

I best quit rambling on. I appreciate your replies. I am thinking Ruger's comments are suggested by lawyers, or that the jacketed tend to be more accurate and therefore suggested. I know Ruger only recommends factory loads as well, yet these Ruger's seem to be the go to guns for those who load their own.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Shoot jacketed,,, plated or even lead bullets in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible w/o any worries. I have a few of that same model & have shoot all kinds through them.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Plated bullets are considered "jacketed" for barrel considerations but lead for reloading data. For example, Glock warns against shooting plain lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels but plated bullets are fine.

If you clean the 9 mm cylinder with any decent regularity you could use lead too. Avoid "swedged" (very soft) lead bullets but hard cast ones should be no problem.

Century Limited

Bearcat
I guess I am more concerned with the plated than lead as I hear the warnings of overcrimping can cause the plated part to separate from the nine lead core and leave an obstruction. In theory, it could separate leaving the cylinder and stay in the barrel. The next shot could result in obstructed barrel. I think most of these scenarios are one in 100 million chance. I may switch to 9mm jacketed and order a few thousand if cost effective, but now it is buy at Cabela's when 20% off and have a coupon to further lower cost in addition to using gift cards purchased at a 20% discount. That really adds up to getting at about 60% of original cabelas cost.

I am in market for NMB

Don't over crimp! The plating is bonded to the lead that is why it is plated
rather than jacketed! Most likely an electrolysis process. The thickness is extremely
thin I would not care to guess how thin remember copper is expensive. ps

I use these: http://www.xtremebullets.com/Copper-Plated-Bullets-s/2897.htm

PM9

Bearcat
I have had thousands of 9mm plated bullets through my Blackhawk convertible. On all my semi auto bullets I use a taper crimp die and crimp it just enough to take out the flare from the sizing die. I also use a taper crimp on my 38 special rounds if the bullet does not have a cannelure. I do check for bullet setback on some of my heavier loads but Taper Crimp problems usually come from over crimping.

Century Limited

Bearcat
Thanks for the additional replies. My last reply mentioning over crimping was done quickly before I left in a hurry. To elaborate, I figured if over crimping could cause problem, the bullet passing trough a tight cylinder before getting to the forcing cone could in essence cause the same effect as over crimping and strip the plating. Before I bought my SR1911CMD-NW just over a year ago, I contemplated buying the 45 BH convertible or the 45ACP/45LC Redhawk as my first 45 ACP. I read about POSSIBLE issues and warnings on the 45 as well. It seemed most people suggested getting the cylinders reamed to shoot lead on those. When I saw the Redhawk prices at full MSRP, I opted for the 1911. I cannot believe it took me so long to get a 1911. Factor in $200 of mags (just because), and a wheel gun seems a better buy...unless it takes moon clips.

FWIW, it took over a year for Brownells to have them in stock, but I scored a 45 ACP cylinder for my Uberti Cattleman revolver a couple months ago. About an hour of filing and sanding (mostly time rounding up supplies) and it fits and luckily properly timed. I have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it so far but have not noticed any issues. I needed to tighten a few screws, but likely just routine as I had not done so since I purchased it like new but used for $250. I feel I did really good on that one.

On my way back home, I took another look at the Smith & Wesson 929 Jerry Miculek as well as the 986 Performance Center version. If only the 986 had a 2 inch longer barrel, or the 929 came with wood grips....could be time for my first S&W, or my...lets see...lost track of how many...lets just say next Ruger.

Remember, every warning that ever came from any firearms related company was instituted at the direction of a lawyer.

I'm actually surprised they don't warn you to never load, much less shoot any firearm.

Of course when it comes to warnings, Ruger is way ahead of the rest. It takes almost a half hour to read the warnings in the manual, and another 15 minutes to read the one the gun.

Century Limited

Bearcat
Back from taking kid to the dentist. While there I googled S&W 929 Performance Center. The NMB is looking much better now. I cannot believe all the negative that has been said about the Performance Center guns. Many reviews say that it is no more than a spring change and nothing special. Many reports of tool marks and other issues where gun needed to be returned and a couple month or more turnaround to get back a gun that should have never left the factory as a standard model, much less a performance center. I am unsure if the issue is really that bad, and suspect that being an expensive revolver, people may be expecting too much. I also know that people are more likely to complain than praise, especially when expensive item. Unfortunately, I have heard that the 2 million challenge may have led to some Ruger's slipping by QC as well. Whether the issues are really that bad for either company or not, I am hesitant to buy sight unseen. I may just buy the 4.62 stainless that I have personally seen.

Decisions, Decisions.