Is it rare?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerCollector

Bearcat
After that last go around with Seth I thought I would try the same thing. :shock: I've looked in Chad's book and can't seem to pinpoint this Ruger.:roll:

SN 814603, large letters, 6 1/2 inch barrel /alloy ERHousing. XR3-RED frame. walnut grips with black medallions. Left side of frame reads Ruger .22 cal. Single Six w/Ruger logo. The box has a partial white grease number (8146) on the long side of the box. The end reads;""Single Six" .22 caliber Revolver" Catalog No. RSSM 6 1/2" Bbl. Sturm Ruger & Co., Inc. Southport, Conn. U.S.A. Neither cylinder is marked with numbers. It letters as a RSSMX .22 WMR with 6 1/2" barrel and fitted with a .22 LR cylinder. Shipped October 1968. I would rate it at 90% based on PPGS condition factors found in the latest Blue Book.

Is this rare? Worth? Can someone (Chad) direct me to the right page in Hiddleson's Guide?

chet15

Hawkeye
In the the 2006 version of the reference, you'll find that variation on page 31, left hand column, last paragraph. In the pocket booklet it is on page 74...the first full paragraph.

For the box, in the same paragraphs mentioned above in the reference and the pocket booklet, you'll find the info you need on the box variation that you have. It is a pretty scarce box...but a good share all of Ruger's 6-1/2" fixed sight Single-Sixes were in a box like you describe (I know of them from D501609 to 820386 and even one late gun in s/n 20-04297).

One last thing...even though most of Ruger's 6-1/2" 2-piece Single-Six boxes say .22 WMR caliber on the end, Ruger never actually printed anything different (other than the box variation you have) from 1959 to the end of OM production in 1972. They may have printed a few box labels to put on the end that say RSSMX, but I am not aware of any because that RSSM .22 WMR box was very very common, so Ruger probably had a good supply of them throughout production.
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here's a reference pic of the box types, the ones on top are "normal", the bottom boxes have the printing errors (calibers swapped).

55511548.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey there RugerCollector, is that the gun I have been eyeballing for a year..........might see you Saturday morning at the TRI County show......RR.