is it possible to change the sights on an older mini 14?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bryan5814

Bearcat
I got a good deal on an old Mini-14 from a friend so I took it. It was in excellent condition but the only reservation I had was that it didn't have the same style sights as the new Mini (the Garand look). From checking the serial number, its from 1983. It has one single blade for front sight and the rear sight is a small peephole.

Is it possible to change the front and rear sights?

Kanook

Buckeye
Welcome to Ruger Forum.

Yes it is possible to change the sights. The front sight is a pain to remove.

Merle1948

Buckeye
bryan5814":11nwqthq said:
how about the rear sights?? can i change that?

Years ago I put a Williams rear on mine. It replaces the original quite nicely, and gives pretty good adjustability. Since it protudes to the rear a bit, I expect it might not take a hit quite as well, but no problems so far.

:D :D :D

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
Unless you really have your heart set on the Ghost Ring I'd like to offer a couple of options. I have changed rear sights on two different Ranch Models in the past. Two good rear sights to consider are as follows:

1. Rear Sight Assembly for the M1903A3 Springfield. A lot of people use the rear sight assembly for the M-1 Carbine (picture below)
M1a-milled-3.jpg

but I like the one for the M1903A3 better. It's has more range settings and adjustments.

524260.jpg

This Product No. 524260 $29.20 at Numrich. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=524260&catid=11905

2. Williams Gun Sight makes a good Micrometer Sight that fits the Ranch. It's the FP series 11-87. I'd suggest ordering the FP-11-87-TK with the Target Knobs. Code 31679.
order_28b.jpg

Williams also has other rear sights that fit the Mini-14 you may or may not like better.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

Merle1948

Buckeye
usmcgunny0369":16m6sim5 said:
Unless you really have your heart set on the Ghost Ring I'd like to offer a couple of options. I have changed rear sights on two different Ranch Models in the past. Two good rear sights to consider are as follows:

1. Rear Sight Assembly for the M1903A3 Springfield. A lot of people use the rear sight assembly for the M-1 Carbine (picture below)
M1a-milled-3.jpg

but I like the one for the M1903A3 better. It's has more range settings and adjustments.

524260.jpg

This Product No. 524260 $29.20 at Numrich. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=524260&catid=11905

2. Williams Gun Sight makes a good Micrometer Sight that fits the Ranch. It's the FP series 11-87. I'd suggest ordering the FP-11-87-TK with the Target Knobs. Code 31679.
order_28b.jpg

Williams also has other rear sights that fit the Mini-14 you may or may not like better.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the OP wasn't for a Ranch Rifle, so perhaps these sights wouldn't be a good match?

:?: :?: :?:

It sounds to me like the OP rifle is a Ranch style... then the Williams sights will work. That's the crux of the matter as to whether the 1983 rifle is a ranch or not.... I've only seen two types of 'older' minis... the standard with the adjustable 'garand' type sight and the ranch with the simple flip up rear peep sight.

I prefer the ranch style and really the iddy bitty flip up peep is not that bad... once it is set right one should not need to adjust it. Same with the garand style... is not that easy to adjust anyway and the williams is not much better.

If it is a ranch style then another option is to put a rail on and sometype of 'simple' 1x power optic.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I'd like the eared type Ruger rear sight as the new models have, but I understand they don't fit.
rsight.jpg

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I used the Carbine and M1903 rear sight with no problem. It sat about the same level and the peep slides to compensate. That said, one thing I did not mention is that the marked range settings aren't the same when on the Mini so you do have to do a little sighting in to figure which one is right for which range. I replaced both later with the Williams FP 11/87 TK and it worked great! The only drawback to this sight is that it does require one small mounting hole to be drilled on the left side of the receiver. Williams does offer a FP series sight for the old style (Garand type) rear sight called the FP-Mini-14-TK. It requires no drilling I believe and simply replaces the old peep.

bryan5814

Bearcat
and i had a previous typo, this rifle was manufactured in 1993 not 1983. It's not a ranch rifle so I suppose the Williams sights don't fit?

Are there any other rear sights will fit a non-ranch Mini? Also can I replace the front blade with a winged front sight?

I've taken my Mini out to the range and shot at paper at distances of 50-100 yard and the peephole is accurate enough. It's definitely a fun plinker. But I think I would have more fun if I imagined my Mini to be a Garand :)

Thank you to everyone who has replied!

Merle1948

Buckeye
bryan5814":3w1ap0j2 said:
and i had a previous typo, this rifle was manufactured in 1993 not 1983. It's not a ranch rifle so I suppose the Williams sights don't fit?

Are there any other rear sights will fit a non-ranch Mini? Also can I replace the front blade with a winged front sight?

I've taken my Mini out to the range and shot at paper at distances of 50-100 yard and the peephole is accurate enough. It's definitely a fun plinker. But I think I would have more fun if I imagined my Mini to be a Garand :)

Thank you to everyone who has replied!

The Williams sight I referred to above is for the non Ranch Rifles.
If you check their on-line catalog, you should find the ordering info you need.
I found the precision adjustments to be a big plus.

:) :) :)