Is it ok to "dry fire" an SP101?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barronbw

Bearcat
I have read several threads on other sites about people who dry fire their SP101 for practice. One fellow said he tried to dry fire his gun 100 times every day until he got very used to it. I was always taught that dry firing is not good for a gun, am I misinformed?

maxpress

Buckeye
dry firing is not good when the firing pin is mounted on the hammer such as the old model 19 S&W. it weres down the pin hole and striker legend has it.
it is reported to be O.K. with the transfer bar system on rugers though.
check the condition of the gun every time and never assume it is still unloaded. this is where most accidental discharges happen "i thought it was unloaded"

sixshot

Buckeye
Its perfectly fine to dry fire your gun, thats the best way to "clean" up the trigger, the other way is, pay a gunsmith $60-70 to do it for you.

Dick

mattsbox99

Hunter
Ruger's are fine to dry fire all you want, even the OA's are ok to dry fire.

I dry fire my GP 10-20 minutes a day, top competition shooters will dry fire for hours a day.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think dry firing is a good way to loosen up a Ruger double-action revolver and to become familiar with it . It is also a good way to add wear and tear to the gun. As in most things moderation is the key. If you are going to dry fire a lot be sure to do it slowly, rotating the cylinder too fast can cause problems with the cylinder notches and cylinder stop.

Welcome to the forum barron. :D :D

...Jimbo

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I don't believe the occasional dry fire or a couple of dry fires every so often are going to hurt anything.

However, if you're going to spend any amount of time dry firing, working on sight picture/trigger pull etc. Or sitting there working the action over and over to help smooth it up......... go ahead and buy the snap caps. what's it going to hurt?

~c.r.

rong

Bearcat
I bought my SP101 a long time ago
and I sat in front of the tv and dry fired it
bought a thousand times-no kidding.
The action is quite smooth now. My buddy
bought his at the same time and his action
was very rough. I don't know bought other
double actions but I smooth out the Rugers
by dry firing them