Is it just me (again)?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone who doesn't shop around for insurance rates every 2 to 3 years is just throwing money away. It doesn't mean that you'll find someone with a lower rate, but it doesn't mean that they all charge the same for the same basic coverage. Go to an independent insurance broker and have him compare different companies for you. Mine went up last year and so I asked for comparative pricing from other companies, and got it back down below what I was paying before it went up.

That is the problem with our economy and system..."We just need to keep up". it is just assumed that prices will rise and everyone thinks it's just normal.
I just got an email from my insurance agent with an attachment for my work van insurance that I have yet to open... I'm afraid to do it.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I switch insurance companies every 5 years or so...... I always stay with one of the big names.... it's amazing how they ratchet up rates on faithful customers with clean driving records and no home claims.....

I find that for a new customer....insurance companies will bend over backwards to get a new client with fresh low rates....
( till they bend the other way in a few years and stick it to ya )

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
According to the experts the economy /inflation in this country is doing much better than in other countries because of good management by the FED. Hard to believe but what else are you going to do, blame Biden? A search on the internet should prove it but I don't post stuff like that anymore.

rotor

Single-Sixer
It's not just the rates, it's the service and do they actually pay off. Will stick with USAA. Remember if you have an agent their fee is part of your rate. Stay away company for me has always been Allstate.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...But let's not forget the benefits we might be enjoying. Most of us own property, house, land, guns, etc. and they have gone way up in value over the last few years. A friend of my wife sold her house for about 4 times what I thought it was worth.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Anyone who doesn't shop around for insurance rates every 2 to 3 years is just throwing money away. It doesn't mean that you'll find someone with a lower rate, but it doesn't mean that they all charge the same for the same basic coverage. Go to an independent insurance broker and have him compare different companies for you. Mine went up last year and so I asked for comparative pricing from other companies, and got it back down below what I was paying before it went up.
That's what I do. I DO have an independent agent. Nevertheless, I check the majors as well.

I have had the same company for about 12 years now. I haven't been able to beat the price.

I checked USAA as well (I'm qualified), but their prices were higher.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Had Geico for 26 years. They were good, but you always dealt with someone on the other end of the 800 number. Switched to Farm Bureau and have been very pleased. Saved a significant amount vs. Geico, get a personal agent to call, and they've paid 2 pretty big claims with no trouble.

I've used USAA for almost 60 years now, but my recent cost increases for my home and car insurance policies are making me think about finding someone cheaper. Their customer service and claims service is outstanding, so that is why I am hesitating. Over the years I have been amazed at their claims service, often paying me more than I ever thought I would get. And in one case, when we suffered basement flooding from a failed sump pump, all I had to do was send them a photo taken by my phone for them to send me a check for the full $10K of coverage for that type problem. But their rates have gotten really high. Part of my hesitation to change now are the comments on this thread, making me think I might not do any better with another reliable insurer.
I've been a USAA member since 1960, a few years longer than you. I have the same appreciation for the company - excellent service, always responsive. My kids and grandkids are also members. But like you, the cost increases are at the overwhelming level and I'm considering looking elsewhere. No accidents or claims and my wife gave up driving a RAV4. I'm looking at $4,300 annually. This $10K car insurance now costs more annually than my $600K home in Florida. I'm planning to replace the old car in favor of a leased compact SUV. I will probably leave USAA then.

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
I think checking/challenging your insurance costs is a good thing but with some caveats ....
Some insurance companies are in name only and won't pay, have poor service ..in essence take your money and still leave you expose... to investigation of the "new" prospective insurance under writer is imperative

Age in my case (77) can will become an issue and I hear some under writers are more sensitive to age than others and unexpectedly not renew or outright cancel ..

Once you get cancelled with one under writer you can pretty much bet that info will travel like wildfire to others .. first questions from a new insurance inquiry they want to know ..name ..driver lic# , address, do you presently have insurance?

Now I know AARP is a dirty word and I do dislike doing business with folks I do not always agree with ..BUT ....The Hartford Insurance company who is the actual insurance provider is financially solid, has efficient support, pays well and has got to be the most tolerant in the industry to aging ..

So I just happen to be in my period of review for my home auto and umbrella polices and I come up with (so far) on $4500 of premiums currently being paid ..a $600 savings via Farmers Ins ..Do I think Hartford will in fact be more tolerant of age than say Farmers ???? what to do what to do

Bear

Ride1949

Hunter
I've been with Liberty Mutual for the last 7 yrs. My insurance on my truck has jumped over the last 2 yrs. from $115.00 a month to $180.00 a month. (No tickets or accidents) I just got a quote from Geico for $82.00 a month. (Same coverage) Bye-bye Liberty Mutual.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I've been with Liberty Mutual for the last 7 yrs. My insurance on my truck has jumped over the last 2 yrs. from $115.00 a month to $180.00 a month. (No tickets or accidents) I just got a quote from Geico for $82.00 a month. (Same coverage) Bye-bye Liberty Mutual.
I stopped the monthly thing years ago. By paying a single price once a year I save over $300.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Let your fingers do the walkin' and shop around and if you find someone cheaper, call and tell your original insurer that you found a better/cheaper one!

Not just you. My homeowners went from $1100 per year to $2230 per year. Huge part of this is due to recent wild fires 2-4 years ago. After 22 years someone figured out that houses that are 6 miles from a fire department and have no hydrants within 5 miles, need to pay waaaay more than our share to help cover the claims of wildfire destruction elsewhere. The lawsuits against the power companies are being settled for NOT shutting down power lines when they should have, so now we all get higher bills for everything including an 18% bump in electricity prices.
Wildfire destruction elsewhere this week.

Star43

Buckeye
Wildfire destruction elsewhere this week.
I read the posts, and basically all of you are correct. I am a Commercial Insurance Agent and also an Insurance Broker in California for the last 25 years. I was set or should say wanted to retire at end of 2022, when the crap hit the fan in CA. Nationwide left in Jan. 23, Arrowhead basically stopped in Feb, Travelers stopped new business for what I do on June, Liberty Mutual the same in Oct., Amtrust in Nov., Oregon Mutual stopped at right around same time. State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, stopped new business in personal lines. I here Triple A is about to do the same...I can go on an on. The last couple of years made my hair turn white. I stayed to help my clients whom I consider Friends, no just clients, get all of their business insurance done. It has been pure Hell. I have never worked harder in my life. Haven't had time to shoot as I'm working weekends too ....In short a lot depends on the State you live in. All states have their own Insurance Commissioners and slightly different rules and regulations.....all of you must know, it has never been like this before. Never. In California, it is based on zip code and particular area and City you live in for the ability to find and get insurance. It is based on crime score. You can have a nice gas station and mini Mart in Oakland and good luck finding insurance. Same with Stockton, San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento, Fresno, down south in Bakersfield, Los Angeles, etc, etc. I have clients in all of these Cities. It's been very hard .....my advice is before you change any company, you have to make sure the coverages are the same, the deductibles, is theft covered ?? On and on..... Hopefully your agent is someone you know and trust. Do not jump into anything right away, as you may not be able to get it back. Also if you had any claims in the last 3 years or so, be very careful.....I can go on and on. Good luck to all of you as you are all in the same predicament. ME too as my own company doing my home and Autos (Kemper) also just left this year and I had to scramble to get my own insurance....Keep the faith and hopefully we all survive this......Crime and especially the homeless problem causing a lot of the crime plus the usual thugs are at an all time high. The claims paid out by the insurance companies are the reason why this is happening.

My total (for property, auto, and liability umbrella) went up 40%. And that ain't all. The deductible on my roofs went to 5%, from 2%. Never had a claim of any kind, and no tickets in 30 years. Pay more, get less.

Star43

Buckeye
My total (for property, auto, and liability umbrella) went up 40%. And that ain't all. The deductible on my roofs went to 5%, from 2%. Never had a claim of any kind, and no tickets in 30 years. Pay more, get less.
You better check about your Roof's deductible. Usually, if not always, roof replacement is considered "maintenance" and is not covered by insurance. Insurance covers "accidental damages" and not maintenance. Not just on roofs, but just about everything......

Star43

Buckeye
It's not just you.

But,, long ago,, a retired insurance agent told me to shop around every 5 years to check our rates & benefits with competing companies. Often,, once you shop and find comparable benefits,, you can often negotiate with your current provider for a better rate.
The reason he asked you to wait, is because he tried to check with another company or two to see if he could beat what you had found. Also he wanted to check with your existing company to ask for any additional "credits" to lower your premium. He wanted to keep you as a client.